7 months ago
Lead System Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth (Skynet)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Lead System Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join the Modem Product Group within our Secure Communications group.
The Modem Product Group will be undertaking the design and implementation of a secure Telemetry, Tracking and Control system that will be targeted at satellites with a need for specialised performances such as ability to communicate in spite of deliberate or accidental interference.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Tasks & accountabilities
In the context of this development, a System Engineer opportunity exists in order to derive the performance, functionality and interfacing requirements for the Ground Modem elements of this system.
The successful candidates will be the responsible for this process, and so will be able to lead a team to undertake the System Engineering activities outlined here as well as support the needs of the Project Management activity that together will deliver the overall system.
The candidate must have the confidence to define sub-system needs, communicating risk, and have knowledge of cryptographic techniques, interfaces, evaluation and the constraints these impose upon the Ground Modem System design.
A good knowledge of Spacecraft operation, and the requirements and restrictions these impose is highly desirable.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
* Ability to lead a System Engineering activity that decomposes a system into constituent sub-systems, their interfaces and then derive requirements for these sub-systems.
* A knowledge of Protected Waveforms is desirable but not mandatory
* Some appreciation or experience in the development of Modem Products and/or solutions for Software Defined Radio platform is desired but am also very happy to with experience in general communications systems;
* Some familiarity of Waveform Technologies including knowledge of commercially available products and their methodologies;
* Desirable to posses knowledge and application of SysML.
* Knowledge of Satcom communications products and services, as well as networking fundamentals.
* Must have the ability to work independently and be an effective contributor in a diversified team
* Must demonstrate creative problem solving skills.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you