22 days ago
Base Location: Perth, Inverness or Shetland. If based on the mainland regular travel to Shetland will be required.
Salary: £70,000-£79,000 per annum + relocation + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible working options available
The Offshore Delivery directorate are responsible for some of the most exciting and complex projects within SSEN Transmission. In 2020 we commenced construction of the Shetland HVDC Link to form a multi-terminal subsea HVDC network connecting Shetland to the Caithness-Moray HVDC Link that was completed in 2018. This project will link the Shetland Isles to the UK mainland transmission network for the first time enabling the export of clean renewable energy from Shetland to the UK market. The link will also form part of a new Shetland energy solution allowing power to be provided to the islands from the mainland if needed.
Providing a transmission network connection to Shetland has created a significant opportunity for energy sector growth on and around the Islands. SSEN Transmission has several further projects in development that will form part of the Shetland Islands’ transition to a flagship low-carbon economy. We are working with local businesses, offshore oil and gas platforms, renewable generators and colleagues in SSEN Distribution to take forward several initiatives that will create positive and lasting change to the Shetland Islands.
What is the Role?
We're looking to recruit a Lead Project Manager to take the portfolio of Shetland projects through development, into construction and then commission as part of the new Shetland energy solution and meeting the needs of our customers on and around the Islands. In this role you'll be the figurehead for all project matters on Shetland outside the HVDC Link currently in construction.
Key responsibilities will include:
* Defining and delivering a varied set of projects ranging from onshore wind farm connections to providing power from shore to remote oil and gas fields in the North Sea.
* Leading a team of internal staff and specialist consultants, you'll directly manage a team of project managers providing the strategic direction to realise the opportunities at hand and take the various projects through development and delivery.
* Working closely with the Directorate’s senior leadership team to ensure the project opportunities are realised, approved and executed in line with SSE business case approval and project governance requirements.
* Recruiting and sustaining construction teams on Shetland, working closely with our delivery partners and local stakeholders – in particular the Shetland Isles Council – to ensure a low-risk and safe execution of the approved projects.
The role can be based in the SSE Inverness or Perth Offices with regular travel to Shetland required, particularly in the construction phase.
What do I need?
To succeed in this role you should have:
* A proven track record of major project development and delivery at a senior level in - or on behalf of - a large utilities organisation.
* Thorough understanding of CDM 2015 and extensive contract and stakeholder management and experience, particularly in onshore AC substation and overhead line projects. Subsea cable project work would be advantageous.
* An understanding of the energy sector opportunities being created on Shetland and how SSEN Transmission can help realise them.
* Leadership qualities that can drive and motivate a team often working remotely.
* Excellent communication skills to ensure continued stakeholder support for the projects and in your role on the Offshore Delivery Leadership team.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
Life at SSE
If you're considering a career with us, you're probably wondering what's in it for you? From health and wellness to finances and family, we're proud of our benefits package which includes 34 days holiday (plus the option to buy additional days), enhanced maternity and paternity leave, discounted healthcare and a wide range of offers via our SSE Advantage scheme.
At SSE we're proud to celebrate difference. We all have different skills, experience and backgrounds and we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture where you can be yourself. We take pride in a job well done and share the belief that an inclusive culture is key to our success and vision for the future. Above all, safety is at the heart of everything we do at SSE and we live by the mantra 'if it's not safe, we don't do it'.
SSE is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application and assessment process, and upon joining SSE.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Gemma Bell at -******* or on--******.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.