11 months ago
The technology and systems expertise offered by Thales’s Transportation team powers safe, reliable and efficient services to rail networks the world over. In the UK, we deliver advanced signalling, supervision and control, integrated communications, security and information systems for urban rail, mainline rail and road networks. And as we continue to grow our business, we need more talent to join us in making our cities better connected.
This is an opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineer – Networks with Thales to be working on the 4LM Programme. This is technical lead role rather than a management role and we are looking for someone who wants to develop their skills in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
This is a full time, permanent position based in our offices in Stratford, London. The salary for this position is £60,000 -£65,000 per year dependent on experience. The closing date for applications is Monday 6th November 2017.
Key responsibilities & Tasks:
* Lead the UK aspect of configuration of, troubleshooting and fault finding of network devices and servers.
* Support integration, validation, verification and qualification activities for the 4LM network.
* Define network test tools and procedures to support the above.
* Undertaking data network fault investigations in local and wide area environments, using information from multiple sources.
* Determine and implement a strategy for managing the 4LM network. This is anticipated to include:
* Work with the customer to produce an operations strategy (e.g. alarms, trending and traffic monitoring)
* Software configuration management and updating of network devices
* Work with the internal software team to develop our trending solution
* Provide technical support for assessing and developing mitigations against cyber security threats
* Interface with other departments, including: Field Operations, Engineering and the Customer
* Provide training and coaching on networks to colleagues
Essential requirements for role:
* Capable of working effectively in a team as part of a large organisation and across multiple time-zones
* Able to lead activities with minimal support and influence a larger organisation to achieve goals
* Must have Rail specific Network Engineering experience
* Experience in the following:
* Configuring routing and switching equipment.
* Configuring and management of firewalls.
* Configuring of Wireless Access Points.
* Implementing and troubleshooting fibre based networks.
* Network automation (scripting and/or orchestration tools)
* Working experience of cyber security threats and mitigations.
* Experience of capacity management, traffic analysis/performance and system sizing.
* Familiar with CastleRock SNMPc/ Wireshark
* Familiar with VPN/ IPSec
* Familiar with serial to Ethernet converters
* Familiar with Windows Server (2008, 2012), Active Directory
* Familiar with Redhat Linux, bash/Perl scripting
* Familiar with PowerShell
* Familiar with Ansible
* Experience of analysing big data and trending
* •CCNA or CCNP certified