7 months ago
Job Ref: 3334
Job Title: Lead Mechanical Design Engineer
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £45,543-£50,936 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 1st October 2019
Are you an experienced mechanical design engineer with the ability to create novel machine designs from concept to realisation?
Are you interested in having a direct contribution in shaping the future of the world`s energy?
Nuclear fusion, the process that powers the Sun, can play a big part in our carbon-free energy future and we need your help to make this a reality.
RACE (Remote Applications in Challenging Environments) specialises in remote handling and automated systems responsible for designing, procuring, commissioning, operating and maintaining the wide range equipment which is used for the maintenance and implementation of enhancements to various fusion reactors as well as other international projects.
We offer a range of excellent benefits including a total of 30.5 days annual leave (including bank holidays, privilege days and time off between Christmas and New Year), a generous pension, a range of personal and professional development opportunities, an on-site sports and social club and much more! Please look through the attached application pack where they are fully explained.
Key areas of accountability will include:
- Creation and design of effective remote handling mechanical robotic devices and tooling from concept through systems specifications to detail designs.
- Substantiation of designs through hand calculations and analysis.
- Supervision of engineers and draughtsman to maintain high design standards and integrate design work.
- Liaison with customers to report of project progress and to agree priorities.
- Drive and complete complex design activities within allotted time and with high efficiency, and ensuring designs are compliant with correct design files.
- Lead and manage the maintenance, diagnosis and repair of existing UKAEA and JET systems.
- Managing the acceptance, testing and commissioning of complex remote systems.
For more information on RACE, please view the following video:
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading edge technological excellence, whilst investing in its people.
Knowledge skills and experience
- Experience in mechanism design and actuator selection
- Engineering council recognised mechanical engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in design substantiation analysis using hand calculation and finite element techniques
- Competent in generating technical documents and specifications
- Experience in using 3D CAD system
- Ability to work as part of a larger team or group
- Membership of a Professional Engineering Institution would be beneficial
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite.
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
- Please note UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews.
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role.