6 months ago
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Provide mechanical design support and expertise under the guidance and instruction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager
Support the continuous improvement of the mechanical aspects of existing completion equipment and downhole telemetry systems by;
* Working with engineering and operational colleagues to assess potential improvements driven by client feedback and feedback from the field
* Implementing design changes as required
* Demonstrating the suitability and robustness of design changes via calculation and analysis
* Demonstrating changes implemented are in accordance with relevant codes of practice (where applicable)
* Production of design reports
* Checking of and where required production of technical drawings of mechanical / electro-mechanical components and assemblies / sub - assemblies
Support the global sales team by;
* Providing technical input into proposed new designs
* Producing proposed completion schematics and conceptual drawings
* Advising sales and commercial personnel with respect to equipment best choice for ongoing tenders / quotations under the guidance of the Mechanical Engineering Manager
Support the production department where required.
Support BHGE new product development with guidance from the Mechanical Engineering Manager by;
* Production of mechanical / structural componentry design, including relevant calculations / assessment to codes of practice, in support of the new development of Zenith downhole gauge / telemetry systems
* Production of conceptual designs for new completion equipment and downhole tools
* Develop and optimise conceptual designs through simulation
* Produce prototype designs and support manufacture
* Production of design reports
* Produce test plans and coordinate new product testing
* Production of test reports
* Coordinate commercialisation of completed designs
* Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant technical degree (i.e. Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering) with equivalent experience. Minimum upper class 2:1.
* Strong experience working in a similar role with relevant experience including the design of oilfield (preferably downhole) equipment
* Good understanding of mechanical / structural analytical and numerical design techniques
* Good understanding of basic fluid mechanics and pipeline hydraulics
* Conversant with Solidworks modelling software
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
* Self-driven with a positive attitude to new challenges
* Comfortable working alone and within teams
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* A practical background prior to or since achieving academic qualifications would be very advantageous. For example, applicant may have served an engineering apprenticeship and worked in a relevant discipline prior to university.
* Conversant with the Ansys suite of simulation software including Mechanical and Fluent
* Experience in the design of: Permanent downhole production equipment, downhole valves, wireline / slickline deployed tools, artificial lift equipment
* An understanding of the various artificial lift techniques employed in the recovery of hydrocarbons worldwide
* Awareness of relevant codes / standards, for example: API 5CT, API 5C3, API 5B, API 11B, NACE MR0175 / 0176, ASME Y14.5, ASME VIII, ASME BTH1 etc.
Locations: United Kingdom; Aberdeen