3 months ago
Lead Embedded Software Engineer
Competitive salary, contribution pension scheme, private medical cover, annual bonus and generous annual leave
Always enjoyed playing with software and hardware!!! We have an exciting role for someone who can work with software and hardware at the same time all of the time! In our modern state of the art facilities you will be working with cutting edge technology where you will be able to develop our next generation of computing platforms that will support the deployment of advanced algorithms that are increasingly incorporating elements of artificial intelligence.
The role will include assessing and selecting candidate hardware technologies, assessing computational performance and then building and testing these platforms. Within this remit there will be the responsibility for operating system selection and working with the algorithm teams to optimise algorithmic performance so deployed algorithms make the maximum advantage of the computing platform’s hardware features.
Experience in modern techniques such as the generation and deployment of auto-code for rapid algorithmic performance analysis and ultimately time to market is desirable as is experience in UML and associated tools.
You will be working in an Agile development environment where teams are multidisciplinary so experience in such an environment is advantageous and experience of key roles such as Scrum Master or Product Owner are of significant interest.
Primary purpose of the role:
As the Lead Embedded Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing and developing embedded systems and as a result you will need strong problem solving skills and an innovative approach to tools and methods. As the lead engineer, you will be leading and managing software teams so experience and/or an interest in people management is key for this position.
* Participation in all aspects of the Software Lifecycle, particularly Agile
* Software Requirements Analysis and Specification to defence and military standards
* Software Requirements Modelling using Unified Modelling Language/Model-Driven Development (UML/MDD) tools and techniques
* Software Requirements Management and Traceability using industry best practice, tools and techniques
* Software Development Estimation & Planning
* Software Test Planning & Execution at all levels (Unit, Integration, System, Acceptance, Qualification) as part of a wider software Integration, Verification and Validation strategy using Test Driven Development techniques where possible
* Software construction and debugging on multiple real-time target platforms, using primarily languages such as C, C++ but also potentially C#, Ada and Java
* Development of real-time and embedded solutions using best-of-breed RTOSs (including MicroCOS, VxWorks, QNX, Embedded Linux)
Skills and experience:
* Programming experience in one or more of the following languages is essential: C, C++ and Python,
* Practical experience of model-driven software development using the UML tool Rhapsody and/or Mathworks tool Matlab/Simulink is essential
* Agile experience in backlog management using Jira
* Test Driven Development
* Embedded hardware knowledge (e.g. uP, DSP, GPU & SoC)
* Software configuration management tools e.g. SVN or GIT
* Experience of using real-time operating systems required e.g. uCOS/Linux (Redhat)
* Static and Dynamic tests tools – e.g. Klockwork/Coverity/CPP-Unit/Google Test
This is a fantastic opportunity with a global, innovative company. Join us.
Together We believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. If you have a need for flexibility then please discuss with your Resourcing Business partner.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!