about 1 year ago
Laser Image Processing and Control Systems Engineer
MBDA Missile Systems - Deliver For A More Secure Tomorrow
Role Title and Location: Laser Image Processing & Control Systems Engineer
Job Ref No: P7369B
MBDA: Level 4
Reports to: Head of Laser Technologies
MBDA are the lead for the DragonFire laser directed energy demonstrator, which is UK MoDs future vision for a laser effector. A vacancy has arisen for a scientist/engineer to work in Bristol on the technology aspects, specifically imaging through atmospheric turbulence.
* Lead an optics laboratory for the design, development and testing of imaging and control for precision laser pointing in the presence of atmospheric turbulence
* Conduct research on new optical and image processing techniques for laser pointing and tracking
* Assisting in the evaluation of demonstrators through off-site trials in the UK and overseas
* Carry out supporting simulation work to support laboratory and outdoor trials results
* Develop a research strategy in image processing and control
* Be at the forefront of science and engineering for laser directed energy
What’s in it for you?
* Interesting and exciting work, giving you the opportunity to work on some truly innovative and world-class technology
* Opportunities to manage projects through their full lifecycle, from the laboratory to customer delivery
* Frequent opportunities to gain visibility for you and your work at the highest level both inside and outside the company
* Having a varied ‘day-job’
* Excellent training opportunities in a broad range of relevant subjects; achieved through formal training courses and/or on-the-job training
* Opportunities to develop new skills through interaction with specialist areas within MBDA
What’s great about the team?
* Become part of a very diverse team of highly motivated scientists and engineers, who are genuinely interested in their fields
* Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects
* Work on projects varying from a few weeks duration to several years
* Enjoy a high level of autonomy and ‘freedom to tinker’
* Have ready access to in-house experts to supplement knowledge
* Contribute to high-level VIP visits in support of senior management
* Opportunity to attend international conferences to keep abreast of developments in the field
* Undertaking this role you would be joining a dynamic, focussed team responsible for the development of our future business
What are we looking for?
* Creativity, imagination and the ability to innovate
* Ideally holding a higher degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) in a physical sciences or engineering discipline.
* Industry experience and knowledge / laboratory skills using lasers, optics and imaging.
* Familiar with systems engineering concepts and model based system engineering (MBSE)
* Deep understanding in the physics of atmospheric turbulence, and current state of the art compensation techniques
* Ability to automate and control of test and measurement equipment for data capture (such as LabView)
* Record of successful technical work delivered individually and/or as part of a team
* Ability to work with minimal supervision and often from a blank sheet of paper
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills, backed by working knowledge of Office software
* Ability to use well-known computer simulation codes to carry out optical simulations(such as Matlab, Zemax)
* Ability to write computer code to examine large datasets (such as Matlab or Python)
What would you get?
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Please Note: MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve the appropriate clearance relevant to the role.