8 months ago
United Kingdom-South East
Date published: 14-Jul-2017
Opportunity: Experienced Hire
Business Line: Water
Business Plan: ENS
1. To assist the Principal Landscape Architect within our Redhill Office in the provision and development of landscape architectural services through input to projects
2. To provide assistance as required to our wider UK landscape team (Currently based in our Chester office)
3. To support our wider UK Environmental Services team, and consultancy project teams, through the provision of specialist landscape input and advice to projects
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Project and Practice Management
1. To assist with and/or provide specialist landscape input to fee bids and proposals.
2. To liaise and collaborate with clients, contractors, and internal professionals from a range of technical disciplines.
3. To deliver project tasks on time and within agreed budgets.
4. To comply with statutory regulations and company policy in fulfilling project requirements for BIM, Health and Safety, CDM and QA.
5. To assist with and/or provide specialist landscape input to support environmental performance and sustainability award applications as required.
Landscape Design and Administration
6. To assist and/or undertake initial feasibility and inception work including site appraisals, development of scope of works, arrangements for specialist surveys, and to advise on compliance and procurement.
7. To assist with and/or undertake the production of landscape design work, specifications and drawings, from conceptual to detailed design for hard and soft landscape, including site clearance and construction documentation, associated illustrations and visualisations, and ‘as constructed’ information.
8. To assist with and/or produce cost estimates for landscape works.
9. To assist with landscape tender processes, contract administration and site inspection services using e.g. JCLI and ICE Forms of Agreement.
Project appraisals / feasibility studies
10. To assist with and/or undertake landscape input to options appraisals and feasibility studies.
11. To assist with and/or undertake the production of landscape design work and drawings, including constraints plans, strategic concepts, landscape masterplans and supporting presentation materials.
12. To provide landscape input into stakeholder/steering group meetings, and the development of vision statements.
13. To assist with and/or undertake landscape input to development of outline business cases and management and maintenance strategies.
14. To support on the preparation of design briefs, codes, policies and guidelines.
Landscape Planning and LVIA
15. To assist and/or undertake landscape and visual surveys, appraisals and impact assessments, at both outline and detailed levels.
16. To assist and/or undertake pre-planning landscape and visual feasibility studies, landscape, townscape and seascape character assessments, sensitivity/capacity studies.
17. To assist in the development of Green Infrastructure planning studies and strategies.
18. To prepare for and attend public consultation meetings and workshops.
19. To provide landscape input into stakeholder/steering group meetings.
20. To assist with and/or undertake the production of baseline surveys
21. To assist with and/or undertake the establishment of aims and objectives, and identification of budget costs.
22. To assist with and/or undertake the preparation of monitoring and review statements.
This post will be line managed by
1. BV’s Principal Landscape Architect / Team Leader (based in Chester)
This post will additionally report to and liaise with:
2. BV’s Principal Landscape Architect (based in Redhill)
3. BV’s Redhilll Team Leader for Environmental Services (based in Redhill)
4. BV’s Director for Environmental Services (based in Chester)
5. BV’s environmental project managers (based at Redhill and / or other locations)
6. BV’s project managers (based at Redhill and / or other locations)
Initially there are no supervisory responsibilities for this post over other personnel. This may change if the landscape team expands in future.
Required competences: Spatial analysis and design, report writing, visual representation of concepts and ideas. Landscape assessment and appraisal, LVIA, landscape feasibility studies, hard and soft landscape design and presentation, some knowledge of landscape contract administration, good communication skills, good AutoCAD skills, good Adobe Creative Cloud skills, an understanding of GIS.
Education & training:
Appropriate graduate / post graduate qualification in landscape architecture.
Full Driving Licence
Academic & profess’l qualif’ns:
Post graduate qualification in landscape architecture, accredited by the Landscape Institute.
Solid all-rounder with good knowledge of landscape planning in particular.
Landscape assessment, written work, design & presentation work, communication skills, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Cloud.
Team player, self-reliant, well organised. Ability to demonstrate interest in water infrastructure / flood resilience / flood alleviation. Ability to demonstrate interest in ecological design / habitat creation.
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Professional training in landscape assessment / LVIA / landscape planning
On the LI’s Pathway to Chartership, or a recently qualified Chartered Member of the Landscape Institute (CMLI).
Other environmental qualifications / professional memberships.
Experience within a large interdisciplinary office, large engineering-led projects.
Working with ecologists / environmental specialists.
Experience working for / with the Environment Agency.
Environmental design / ecological design / (wetland) habitat creation, GIS user, visualisations / graphics / photography