7 months ago
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is recruiting a Laboratory Technician to work in our Corrosion Science Team based at Harwell, near Oxford. The successful candidate will support the team in deploying experimental and analytical capabilities to support our clients in a variety of studies and testing programmes. The post offers the opportunity to apply your skills to very challenging and exciting problems faced by the nuclear industry in the UK and abroad. The vacancy provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to deploy hands-on technical skills whilst gaining exposure to a dynamic scientific, commercial and project delivery environment.
Amec Foster Wheeler is committed to the continuing professional development of our staff. You will have excellent opportunities to progress by furthering your technical and project management capabilities and broadening into the wider interests of our company.
Work on a range of experimental projects for customers including radioactive waste producers, radioactive waste management organisations and regulators, both in the UK and overseas. Work requires the deployment of a range of practical and experimental skills to study and document a variety of corrosion problems, including:
* Design and assembly of test cells, including management of suppliers providing mechanical, electrical and electronic components.
* Operating electrochemical and gas monitoring cells, including understanding the fundamental scientific/technical principles underpinning the measurements being carried out.
* Acquisition and rationalisation of data sets containing measurements results.
* Internal reporting of results to senior team members.
* Delivering work to agreed timescales and cost.
Skills / Qualifications
* A good first degree (2:1 or better) in a physical science or engineering discipline OR equivalent training/experience.
* A Master degree in a similar subject would be an advantage.
* Good experimental skills, with focus on chemistry, material science and/or mechanical engineering
* Numerate with good technical writing skills.
* Flexible, creating and keen to develop solutions responding to customers’ needs.
* Adaptable, able to work on a number of projects at the same time, prioritising as appropriate.
* Excellent team-worker, able to share/coordinate work with other colleagues
* Enthusiasm to apply practical skills to the solution of real-world problems.
* We will need to be able to obtain appropriate security clearance.
* Previous studies or work experience in corrosion science would be an advantage.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. We provide performance driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.