2 months ago
We are currently looking for a Junior Software Developer to join our team in Bristol.
Altran UK are currently in the process of recruiting a number of software developers with a range of skills and experience within our Bristol office. These roles are within a specialist business unit inside Altran that is concerned with where software engineering and conventional (mechanical) engineering come together.
Our current work is focused on new aeronautical engineering software projects that use a wide range of languages and technologies. The tools we create streamline, enable or enhance the capability of the engineering teams we work for, and help them to solve real-world problems, such as engine fuel-efficiency, manufacturing times, aircraft range, etc.
Any successful candidate will be expected to have provable software skills, and be able to demonstrate the ability to quickly gain a working understand of topics beyond the remit of a normal developer (from the complex mechanics of a jet engine to computational fluid dynamics). Although the majority of work is writing code, customer-facing skills are absolutely essential, as is the desire to work as part of a team to overcome challenges that are not always purely software-related.
You will be joining a diverse team that includes everything from computer-scientists to chemists. Many of our team are either software developers who have a solid grounding in engineering principles, or scientists and engineers who have very strong software development skills, but what we really care about most is your potential.
The successful candidate will be a Software Developer with experience of Python, C-derived languages and who possesses a diverse, adaptable skill-set.
* Producing quality engineering-oriented software as part of a close-knit team of developers
* Communicating regularly with customers to report progress, and to resolve problems
* Undertaking regular code and design reviews
* Capturing and understanding customer requirements, and translating them into software design, code and automated unit tests
Qualifications and Skills
* Demonstrable experience as a Software Developer working on complex applications in at least one object oriented language. Experience in engineering or aeronautics domains is advantageous.
* Knowledge of Python and C-related languages. Experience of working with databases a significant bonus.
* Developing software applications in a professional environment, and have experience of (depending on level – we will often hire Graduates with none of these):
* Testing (unit, i.e. Junit, perhaps including mocks)
* User Interface development
* Experienced in using standard tools: IDEs, SVN/Git, CI, Coverage, Static Analysis etc.
* Understanding of modern software development principles (OO, design patterns, “Agile” methodologies, etc.)
* Educated to degree level (or higher) in a computer science, mathematics, engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent experience
* Possess customer interaction skills. You will be speaking to the customer from day 1: asking the right people the right questions; knowing how and what to communicate
* Experience of extracting requirements and understanding them from the customer’s perspective, as well as that of a software developer
* Able to learn new concepts, ideas and domains, to the point of being confident in actively using them, often with limited time to do so
* Demonstrable analytical and problem-solving skills within the technical environment space
* Able to take full advantage of modern software development tools (IDEs etc.)
* Either professional experience of or an active interest in engineering or engineering-related subject areas
* Enjoy working in teams of varying sizes where all work and most decisions are shared. You will want a fair say, but will wish to do what benefits the team and customer first
* A strong work ethic: wanting to get a job done, and doing it well
* Caring about quality: a keenness to get a job done properly
* Confident in asking questions and communicating, challenging others and critiquing ideas
* Comfortable having work regularly critiqued as well as reviewing others
* Organised, self-motivated and -disciplined
* Willing to be self-critical, honest and open when mistakes are made or knowledge-gaps found, and with a good understanding of your own, personal limitations
* Seeking continuous improvement and progression. Keen to grow knowledge and skills (new software languages, projects, and engineering domains)
* Comfortable working to regular deadlines, managing expectations and assessing risks
* There will be many opportunities at all levels and we would expect all team members to be willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities as their experience grows
Bonus points (absolutely non-essential, do not let any of these put you off)
* Any skills or interests applicable to the engineering or aeronautics domains
* An interest in modern software development practices (Agile, Scrum, TDD, XP, etc.)