28 days ago
Join us in Edinburgh as a Junior Data Scientist
* This role will see you contributing to Mimo, a new start-up mobile application that is being developed by NatWest for launch into the UK and Irish markets
* Mimo consolidates holistic customer information onto a cloud based data platform, and then surfaces insights to help customers save time and money, and gain peace of mind that their life is in order
* The app has been operating as a pilot since 2018, and we're now looking for a Junior Data Scientist to come on board and provide analytical insight
* You'll be placed within our Customer Insights, Data Innovation, Strategic Modelling & AI, or Data Engineering team
What you'll do
We'll look to you to identify and work with large, complex data sets from across the bank's data estate to solve difficult, non-routine analysis problems, applying advanced analytical methods as needed. You'll conduct analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification in collaboration with business stakeholders, and you'll define data science project deliverables.
You'll build and prototype data analysis pipelines to provide insights at scale that will ultimately lead to production deployment, and you'll develop knowledge of RBS data structures and metrics, advocating for changes where needed for product development.
As well as this, you'll:
* Work with other data scientists and engineers to interact across RBS functions and franchises to make business recommendations
* Present your findings to multiple levels of stakeholders using experimentally verified quantitative information
* Contribute to the data scientist community to identify and deliver opportunities to support the bank’s strategic direction through better use data
* Identify new methods, tools, techniques and opportunities to deliver value through applied data science
* Manage day-to-day activities within risk appetite
* Display risk practices and behaviours consistent with a risk culture where risk is simply part of the way we work and think
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with a degree in a quantitative discipline or equivalent practical experience in a data analysis related field. You'll have experience with statistical software covering Python, Spark and Pandas, database languages such as SQL, big data technologies such as Hadoop and Spark, and cloud environments covering AWS, Azure and GCP.
You'll have experience articulating and translating business questions and using statistical techniques to arrive at an answer using available data. You'll also have the motivation and willingness to learn new techniques, and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Although not essential, you'll also ideally demonstrate:
* A Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline
* Expertise with statistical data analysis such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models and sampling methods
* Experience with machine learning on large datasets
* Experience deploying machine learning models into a production environment
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we’ll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more.