4 months ago
£Competitive, benefits include - 27 Days Holiday +
Category: Cost Jobs
Junior Cost Engineer
£Competitive, benefits include - 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
This role sits within the Cost Analysis team of our automotive function.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 650 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
* Develop and learn to build ground up ‘should cost’ estimates for new components, assemblies and projects currently being developed within Research Design and Development (RDD).
* Support reviews with Engineering to calculate future product costs and understand the associated risks and opportunities which could impact a product as it progresses through the development cycle. Learn to influence product, assembly and component design to reduce cost where possible.
* Support the Cost Management Team at project milestone reviews. Clarity of what makes up the product cost and what drives any variance to target will be essential.
* Work with Engineering and Procurement to develop new cost calculation ‘should cost’ tools.
* Work closely with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching Target costs for each assembly.
* Actively look to develop current reports and processes to continuously improve the timeliness, accuracy and quality of cost reporting in the context of the rapidly expanding Dyson RDD environment.
* Use your experience of manufacturing processes to enable the engineers to choose the most cost effective process to produce their parts.
* A degree in engineering, manufacturing or automotive related subject
* Analytical ability demonstrated through previous engineering work.
* Experience within a high volume manufacturing environment will be a key requirement for the role.
* Proven track record in working to tight timescales within a project programme, managing your budget and prioritising to deliver cost effective results.
* Previous experience working within a automotive environment is essential
* Strong communication skills in one-to-one situations and in a team environment
* Ability to manipulate large amounts of data.
* Proven interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.