7 months ago
Location: Whiteley, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
AQUILA ENGINEERING – INTEGRATION TEST FACILITY / VERIFICATION & VALIDATION LEAD ENGINEER
Aquila Air Traffic Management Services (ATMS) is the chosen provider to safely deliver Air Traffic Services including Engineering Service Delivery to the UK Ministry of Defence through a transformational project named Project Marshall. Project Marshall is a major Air Traffic Management (ATM) delivery programme which will deliver a capability upgrade providing the MOD with ATM Services for a period of 22 years.
A role has been identified for an ATM Systems Integration Engineer who would manage the integration and test activities associated with the Marshall Integration Test Facility (ITF), and will also provide Verification & Validation (V&V) expertise to support the wider Aquila Engineering team activities. This role would be ideal for an experienced V&V/Integration Engineer with knowledge of ATM systems. We’re looking for a confident professional with excellent communication and inter-personal skills who is comfortable working under their own initiative both in an internal and a customer facing environment.
This role is based at the NATS Corporate Technical Centre (CTC) at Whiteley, Hampshire offices, but will also require some travel to attend test events at Supplier and Customer sites, both in the UK and overseas.
The ITF/V&V Lead Engineer will report to the Technical Service Manager (Networks), within the Aquila Engineering organisation.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
* Manage the Whiteley Marshall ITF on behalf of the Head of Engineering, including:
* Control of assets required for early integration testing
* Preparation and control of the ITF configurations to support test activities
* Management and deconfliction of ITF schedules and usage monitoring
* Own the configuration management and control of the ITF systems
* Responsible for Health & Safety conformance and Method Statements/Risk Assessments for the ITF working area.
* Create, develop and maintain work instructions and user guides for the support and maintenance of the ITF.
* Lead and conduct early integration testing of identified interfaces, software upgrades, bug fixes and new operational configurations in support of Marshall ATM services and Aquila business needs.
* Provide support to Aquila Engineering Teams with fault replication, investigations, performance enhancements, end-end system testing, and impact assessments for future change.
* Provide specific test configurations and generate test evidence to support Safety proposals and assist with system assurance activities.
* Act as a V&V consultant to the Aquila Engineering Technical Service Management Teams, providing guidance, supporting the production of test scripts, plans and the running of test events.
* Understand and ensure compliance with the Marshall V&V Strategy
* Produce the reports and presentations to demonstrate robust V&V implementation and assurance of system test activities.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
* Several years’ experience working in a Systems Integration engineering or V&V role, ideally within multi-discipline teams.
* Knowledge and experience of the Air Traffic Management environment and understanding of the safety critical nature of engineering assurance.
* Able to provide evidence/examples of working closely with systems engineers to determine testing requirements and then delivering appropriate and successful test plans, scripts, events and reports.
* Competent in use of IT programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Sharepoint and other Aquila systems as required.
* Ability to absorb and understand ATM technical aspects.
* Team player mentality with effective problem-solving skills.
* Good communicator, approachable, flexible and positive attitude with a sense of humour.
* Full clean driving license – essential for travel within the Aquila ATMS supported sites as required.
* Relevant qualifications in an engineering discipline, with significant extensive and directly applicable experience.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!