about 1 year ago
VCharge was founded in 2009 with the goal of changing how grid operators and utilities manage the electric grid to enable unlimited use of renewable energy. By identifying transactive loads and controlling them with unique precision, VCharge provides critical balancing and stabilisation services to grid operators and electricity market participants by actuating and metering distributed energy assets. VCharge was recently acquired by OVO Group Ltd, a UK-based technology company and energy supplier.
At present, we control several thousand electric storage and hot water heaters across several countries and grids using our VNet™ optimisation platform. Following the OVO acquisition, we are taking the VNet platform to the next level, with the goal of expanding the distributed energy assets we control to include electric vehicles, residential and grid-scale batteries, and generation including hydro and wind turbines and solar. Over the next few years, we will install and manage tens- to hundreds-of-thousands of actuating and power metering devices on energy resources in the UK and elsewhere.
We are seeking a person with knowledge and experience in mechanical, electrical, and software engineering to integrate new distributed energy resources into the VNet platform. This will involve designing and carrying out experiments related to communicating with, controlling, and monitoring these assets. Responsibilities include:
* Apply and grow your expertise in control, metering, and telemetry for various types of distributed energy hardware;
* Work with technical colleagues at our device manufacturer partners to specify and understand the communication and control mechanisms for the assets and their APIs;
* Assess the performance of devices with respect to published specifications; verify and document the actual operating characteristics and the quality of their sensing and actuation controls;
* Evaluate the accuracy, precision, and other aspects of integral power metering. This will mean devising experiments where the output of the device is collected at the same time (and on machines where the clock difference is known and calibrated) as power metering data from a high-resolution alternate source;
* Provision and organise the lab environment in which you’ll be working.
To succeed in this position you must:
* Have solid working knowledge of microcontroller hardware and device communications protocols e.g., MODBUS, DNP3, as well as HTTP and serial comms;
* Demonstrate experience working with API specifications and writing prototype code rapidly for testing purposes;
* Have an organised approach to experimental design and experience with data analysis tools e.g., Excel, R
* Be comfortable doing experiments and collaborating informally with our engineers remotely;
* Be “hands on” with the assets--you know your way around a toolbox and are comfortable with various electrical diagnostic tools.
Preferred skills and experience:
* Working knowledge of Python or other scripting languages
* Industrial automation/control systems and power electronics;
* Distributed energy resources (solar PV, inverters, batteries, SCADA systems);
* Mobile/internet-of-things communications platforms and protocols (e.g., ZigBee, sub-1 GHz comms).
* Competitive salary.
* A discretionary, performance-based bonus – based on not just on what you do, but the way you go about doing it.
* Flexible working hours, and you can work from home one day a week.
* Newly refurbished, open plan Notting Hill based office.
* 25 days holiday plus an extra day for your birthday.
* An additional 4% of your salary to spend on your lifestyle.
* Free breakfast every day, plus lunch on Fridays and lots of socials.
* Playstation 4, XBOX One, retro video games and table tennis.
* Take part in hackathons, tech talks and teach kids to code.
* The chance to go to conferences and meet-ups.
* Regular socials
* A clearly defined career path for those looking to improve their technical skills or to progress to people management.
* We’re 20th on the Sunday Times’ list of best companies to work for in the UK.
The main thing:
This is your chance to work with passionate people using cutting-edge technology, in a collaborative environment where you can make your ideas heard. We give teams total responsibility for designing, building, testing and running their applications – you can make a real difference. Join us.
See how we work on our blog.
Catch up with us on:
Twitter YouTube GitHub LinkedIn