over 2 years ago
Intelligent Systems Engineer
Role Title and Location: Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS) Engineer, Bristol
Job Ref No: P7574B
MBDA: L4 ideally. Will also consider L3 and L5.
Reports to: Guidance Control and Navigation (GCN) Team Lead
A successful candidate will work within a team of intelligent systems, autonomous systems and command and control (C2) engineers to develop and evaluate state-of-the-art algorithms spanning a range of domains from on-board autonomous decision making to off-board C2 algorithms. The work will involve researching, developing, testing, evaluating and implementing algorithms that integrate into wider complex weapon systems through both funded internal research & development and fast-moving, complex projects.
As an IAS engineer you will be expected to collaborate and provide support both within the function and the wider MBDA community, offering significant opportunities to be involved in a wide variety of projects and tasks. You will develop algorithms that are central to the design of MBDA’s complex guided weapon systems products. These algorithms are developed at many stages of the lifecycle of the product including:
* Research studies, both externally and internally funded, to investigate algorithms for future developments
* Algorithms to support: initial missile feasibility and concept studies; assessment and development programmes; and mid-life updates for in in-service products.
IAS engineers are involved in all stages of the lifecycle and play a key role in many of our product developments.
What we are looking for from you?
* Preferably PhD qualified in related area or a degree with strong mathematical content and programming skills e.g. Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Information Engineering.
* A keen interest in cutting-edge technologies.
* Relevant experience, Post-Doctoral or Industrial, in robotics, autonomous decision making, data fusion, tracking/estimation, pattern discovery & recognition, statistical inference, optimisation and machine/deep learning algorithms. Real-time implementation, and/or validation & verification is a strong advantage.
As an IAS engineer you will be expected to cultivate a broad and in-depth knowledge across a variety of applicable fields and topics. However specific knowledge or experience in any of these areas is of benefit:
* Robotics, guidance and autonomous decision making, e.g.
* Routing and motion/trajectory planning, optimisation, co-ordinated guidance and control, decision theory, MDPs/POMDPs, expert systems, game theory, decision support systems, multi-agent systems
* Data fusion and state estimation/tracking algorithms e.g.
* Kalman Filtering, multiple-model tracking methods, particle filters, grid-based estimation methods, Multi-Object-Multi-Sensor Fusion, data-association, random finite sets, Bayesian belief networks, Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence
* Machine Learning for regression and pattern recognition/discovery problems e.g.
* Gaussian processes, latent variable methods, support vector machines, probabilistic/statistical models, neural networks, Bayesian inference, random-forests, novelty detection, clustering
* Deep Learning e.g.
* Deep reinforcement learning, Monte-Carlo tree search, deep regression/classification, deep embeddings, recurrent Networks, natural language processing
* Computer Vision algorithms e.g.
* Structure from motion, image Based navigation, SLAM, pose estimation/recovery,
Ideally you will have some knowledge and experience in:
* Matlab, Simulink and/or Stateflow
* Python including PyTorch, TensorFlow, OpenAI-Gym/Universe
* Model Based Design
In addition you will:
* have an understanding of and an ability to work within defined processes
* have the ability to visualize and assess complex systems
* have good verbal, presentation and written communication skills
* have practical knowledge of basic systems engineering principles and processes
* be able to work with engineering teams, including in-house and contractor personnel
The Specific Role
* You will be responsible for technical development of specific algorithms or studies for key programmes within MBDA.
* Responsibilities can include concept studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, trials preparation, trials analysis and reporting, architecture definition, algorithm and model validation.
* You will perform technical assessments and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either solely or as a member of a project team.
* You will engage with the algorithm users, understand and respond to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for purpose.
What's great about this opportunity?
* You will gain in-depth knowledge and an understanding of the design and functionality of MBDA’s complex weapon systems through your algorithm development work. You will additionally gain an understanding of a number of related disciplines e.g. Simulation and Modelling, Software, Hardware-in-the Loop, Systems Design & Validation, Seekers & Sensors, Datalinks and Technical Quality.
* You will have the opportunity to work within an international discipline in MBDA.
* You will be exposed to cutting-edge technological innovations.
* You will play a key role in the development of our complex weapon systems.
* You will have the opportunity to develop your career as a technology specialist, or as a functional/project manager.
What’s great about joining this team?
* Has a central role in the concept definition and development of MBDA’s products.
* Gives depth of experience and opportunity to all team members.
* Successful track record in achieving project milestones on time and on budget.
* Stimulating environment and rewarding opportunities.
* Good team spirit and functional identity.
* Frequent exposure to high-profile, fast-paced projects.
* Continuously striving to bring benefits to products through innovation.
What would you get?
*Flexible working *opportunities for career progression *paid overtime (subject to level) *great bonus scheme *comprehensive pension scheme *annual salary review *fantastic working environment and site facilities *social, charitable and sporting activities.
MBDA is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements. MBDA is a proud member of Working Families – the UK’s work-life balance organisation.
Follow MBDA on LinkedIn and Twitter.