4 months ago
Instrument Systems Engineer
Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a Europeanleader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for an Instrument Systems Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Antennas group within the Earth Observation, Navigation and Science business line (ENS).
Reporting to the Instrument Systems Manager you will be responsible for design, analysis, development and test of Instrument and Payload antenna subsystems hardware and components, for both active and passive antenna systems, including quasi-optic networks and Gaussian horns.
The successful applicant will be subject to UK Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Tasks & accountabilities
Main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for derivation of Instrument and Payload Antenna subsystem requirements from top level mission, system or payload specifications.
- Creation of innovative antenna solutions for various Instrument and Payload applications.
- Responsible for development and maintenance of Instrument and Payload Antenna subsystem performance models for both active (synthetic aperture radars / radar altimeters / scatterometers) and passive microwave instruments (radiometers / sounders).
- Supporting performance analysis to enable understanding and interpretation of Antenna requirements and translation to Instrument and Payload performance parameters.
- Managing Instrument and Payload Antenna subsystem design/development/verification tasks or work packages through to completion within the designated performance, schedule and cost requirements.
- Derivation of key performance parameters and apportionment for specification on procured equipment and subassemblies.
- Prepare engineering documents, requirement specifications, perform analyses, generate verification and design justification files.
- Support to Instrument and Payload integration, test and verification in respect of Antenna aspects. Provide support to analysis of instrument test data.
- Preparation and delivery of technical presentations to customers.
- Responsibility for work packages, delegating to and supporting other members of the department as necessary and controlling cost and schedule to deliver the required outputs.
- Subcontractor technical management where Antenna products are being procured from external suppliers, including review of technical proposals and other technical documentation, participation in technical negotiations, attending progress meetings and design reviews at the suppliers and at the customer’s premises, ensuring delivery of products which meet the requirements.
- Support to technical proposal preparation.
This role will involve regular travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Honors Degree in Physics, Electronics or related Engineering discipline OR MSc in an appropriate subject.
- Experienced in the analysis and design of RF & Microwave Antennas, quasi-optic networks, horns and diplexers.
- Proven capability in Antenna design with a successful product portfolio.
- Solid understanding of fundamental electro-magnetic antenna theory and analysis methods, and ability to apply this from first principles in practical applications to create innovative solutions to problems.
- Understanding of antennas application to RF & Microwave systems in evaluating, e.g. link budgets and noise figure.
- Experienced in the use of industry standard analysis tools, e.g. MATLAB, ADS, HFSS, GRASP, CST, CHAMP, etc.
- Experience of Satellite Instrument / payload antenna performance modelling and verification.
In return we can offer a competitive salary with annual profit ; an ever growing list of company benefits and strong career development options across our transnational, market leading company.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business; if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the Recruitment Business Partner who contacts you.