6 months ago
AutoReq ID 136081BR
Job Title Innovation, Reliefs & Incentives Senior Manager
Country United Kingdom
Service Line Claims and Incentives
Service Line Information
The Claims and Incentives team are part of our wider Corporate Tax department. They help our clients to secure cash tax savings through government sponsored tax reliefs and incentives. The team is made up of Fixed Asset Tax Services (“FATS”) and Innovation Reliefs & Incentives (“IRI”) and supports clients who incur expenditure on fixed assets and carry out innovative activities. The FATS team is made up of tax advisers, accountants and surveyors and reviews fixed asset costs such as expenditure incurred on the construction of property to enhance and accelerate the available tax relief wherever possible. They also help clients on their processes to capture data in relation to fixed assets and have developed technology tools to assist with this process.
Within IRI staff work with clients to help them claim tax incentives for innovation. The IRI team works with companies of all sizes from almost every sector of the economy to identify their qualifying R&D activity, quantify it and help them obtain their R&D incentives, as well as working with clients to best leverage the Patent Box regime. The team consists of staff with a wide variety of skill sets all working together, from technical specialist including scientists, engineers and IT experts to fully qualified accountants and tax advisers. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit.
KPMG Overview Joining KPMG means joining a talented team of exceptional colleagues who bring innovative thoughts and a natural curiosity to the work they do each day. No one type of person succeeds at KPMG; a diverse business requires diverse personalities, characters and perspectives. There really is a place for you here.
Job Description At KPMG, our values define who we are and the way we do business. As a leading professional services firm, we know that our strength and capability come from our people – their different perspectives, experiences and backgrounds. From our inclusive leadership strategy to our diversity and inclusion targets – we’re making bold changes to who we are and what we do. Be part of it.
KPMG’s national Innovation Reliefs and Incentives team ("IRI") is part of our wider Corporate Tax department, where staff work with clients to help them claim tax incentives for innovation and the creative sector. We are a multi-discipline team of tax specialists, scientists, engineers and IT specialists.
Our staff have the opportunity to develop relationships with clients, to help them claim corporation tax relief or credits for research & development, exploiting patents and producing creative content from video games through to TV programmes. This involves working with clients to produce complex tax claims, computations and documentation for HM Revenue & Customs and giving advice on the effect of the incentives on wider business considerations such as managing effective tax rate, structuring or where to locate research and development activities.
R&D Tax Relief provides an incentive to UK businesses carrying out qualifying R&D activity and the Patent Box provides an incentive to businesses that commercialise the results of that R&D in the UK. The team works with businesses from almost every sector of the economy to identify and quantify their qualifying R&D activity and to identify whether they qualify for the Patent Box regime and to quantify the benefits available. We then work with clients to obtain the incentives available to them.
The IRI team is looking to expand with the appointment of a Senior Manager in the team based in Leeds
Roles and Responsibilities
This Senior Manager level role is for an individual with experience of the UK R&D Tax Relief regime to work with the local team to accelerate the growth of our business in the North. You will be required to use your tax knowledge to help our clients in making claims for R&D Tax relief, as well as Patent Box claims.
You will also be required to:
- Manage the engagement team to develop claim methodologies and prepare R&D tax relief claims and Patent Box claims for submission to HMRC (having responsibility for managing the overall engagement, including client engagement, technical and costing aspects)
- Work with the client's technical and tax teams to prepare and submit robust and eligible R&D Tax claims and Patent Box claims.
- Manage the engagement team in responding to HMRC enquiries into R&D Tax claims and Patent Box claims
- Advise client on tax technical issues
- Build an internal network within the wider tax practice of the firm
- Establish and maintain strong client relationships with both existing and new clients
- Work with the client's finance and tax teams to ensure that eligible R&D Tax expenditure and patent income is identified.
- Play a key role in identifying and progressing business development opportunities and to pitch for work with both new and existing clients
- Contribute to the development of a specific area of the business plan
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent communication skills in a range of situations both written and oral.
- The ability to deal with technical and finance staff on a one to one to basis, conducting structured discussions.
- Capable of reviewing documentation produced by the engagement team to a high level of quality for submission to HMRC.
- Knowledge of auditing complex costing information before submission to the client and/or HMRC.
- Providing constructive guidance to junior grades to deliver high quality work to the client/HMRC and as part of their career development.
- Capable of communicating confidently and knowledgably with other Managers, Senior Managers, Directors and Partners within the firm.
- Strong business development and client facing skills – proven history of being able to identify opportunities and converting them.
- Very good project management skills and an ability to manage own workload, as well as junior members of the team.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player
Experience and Background
- High level of tax technical knowledge of the UK’s R&D tax incentives
- Knowledge of wider tax issues (knowledge of Patent Box legislation is a bonus)
- Experience in preparing and submitting R&D tax relief claims (experience of making Patent Box claims would be desirable but not essential)
- Experience in responding to HMRC enquiries
- Knowledge of different claim methodologies, especially any industry specific challenges, over a broad range of industries.
We recognise that as individuals, we each have particular needs and that one size doesn’t fit all, when it comes to how, when and where you work. That’s why we’re proud to offer our colleagues agile working options. We believe in putting you at the centre of your career – KPMG will offer the training, development and stimulating work environment to help you get to where your career ambitions are.
Our Deal At KPMG, your long-term future is every bit as important to us as it is to you. That’s why our aim is to give you experiences that will stay with you for a lifetime. Whether it’s great training and development, mobility opportunities or corporate responsibility volunteering activities – you’ll gain a wealth of experiences on which to build a rewarding career. We’re a firm that encourages you to be yourself, values your contribution, and inspires you to act as a role model, always focused on doing the right thing for each other, our clients and our communities.
We’re at our best when you’re at your best; that’s why we’ve created ‘Our Deal’ and ‘The Academy’. Our Deal is the way we speak about the colleague experience and the expectations we have of our people. We expect the best from our people and in return we provide a stimulating, collaborative environment where each person can reach their extraordinary potential. Through ‘The Academy’, you’ll have access to communities which will support and develop you so that you build your skills and career. From introducing secondment programmes to preferential banking, and student loan payments to your birthday off, we’re making sure that our people have an amazing experience.
Flexible Working While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a balanced lifestyle. We offer part time roles with flexible working arrangements which could include, annualised hours, early or late starts to fit around other commitments, shorter working days etc. We are happy to discuss your own requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements in more detail, should that be of interest and, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly.
Applying with a Disability KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss with your recruitment contact any reasonable adjustments to our Recruitment Process that you may require.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We pride ourselves on being a place where your individuality is valued; you can be yourself and still achieve your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results to our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG by viewing our Policy
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies.
Tax, Claims, Business Development, Manager, Finance, Insurance, Sales, Management, Research