10 months ago
AutoReq ID 135267BR
Job Title Innovation Reliefs & Incentives - Assistant Manager
Country United Kingdom
Service Line Claims and Incentives
Service Line Information
The Claims and Incentives team are part of our wider Corporate Tax department. They help our clients to secure cash tax savings through government sponsored tax reliefs and incentives. The team is made up of Fixed Asset Tax Services (“FATS”) and Innovation Reliefs & Incentives (“IRI”) and supports clients who incur expenditure on fixed assets and carry out innovative activities. The FATS team is made up of tax advisers, accountants and surveyors and reviews fixed asset costs such as expenditure incurred on the construction of property to enhance and accelerate the available tax relief wherever possible. They also help clients on their processes to capture data in relation to fixed assets and have developed technology tools to assist with this process.
Within IRI staff work with clients to help them claim tax incentives for innovation. The IRI team works with companies of all sizes from almost every sector of the economy to identify their qualifying R&D activity, quantify it and help them obtain their R&D incentives, as well as working with clients to best leverage the Patent Box regime. The team consists of staff with a wide variety of skill sets all working together, from technical specialist including scientists, engineers and IT experts to fully qualified accountants and tax advisers. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit.
KPMG Overview KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Your new role
Working alongside experienced managers within our Innovation Reliefs and Incentives team, you will bring to the table your expertise in fields which may include; software development, machine learning, databases and system architecture. You will play a key role in providing innovative and strategic advice to our clients around their ability to access the UK R&D Incentive to support their innovation, commercialisation and growth strategies. You will get an insight into the development challenges that IT companies in UK are facing, for example how to deploy a new software solution within a large enterprise architecture.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Liaise with technical leads from different companies to discuss the key technology challenges faced and identify projects which may qualify for the R&D Incentive in UK
- Prepare technical reports describing the innovations and technical challenges within the projects undertaken by our clients
- Review and analyse financial data and identify eligible items which qualify for the R&D Incentive
- Establish and maintain strong relationships, with both existing and new clients, through your proactive communication and excellent services delivery skills
- Ensure you are a strong team player and effective contributor, by bringing your expertise in the field
- Support senior peers pursuing new business opportunities with companies that are pushing the boundaries of innovation
- Build an internal network within the wider KPMG firm and international network
At KPMG we strongly encourage a diverse and inclusive workplace. We foster a culture of agility and curiosity. Is this the perfect next step for your career!
You bring to the role
This role will suit a recent graduate or an experienced IT professional with 1 to 2 years with a previous employer.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent writing skills with a well-developed capability to write to a wide variety of audiences
- A degree in IT, computer science or similar to 2.1 level
- Ability to research, extract and understand complex technical and financial information and present it in both written and oral formats
- Intermediate excel skills
- Project management experience, with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks, switch priorities and focus as needed
- A passion for technology, and agility to learn about how different technologies are developed and applied within a range of industries
- Creative and innovative thinking skills with a strong complex problem solving ability
- Experience working collaboratively within different multidisciplinary teams whilst being focussed on delivering excellent outcomes to a range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, that enable you to actively participate in structured discussions with both technical and finance staff
- Some previous experience in government incentives, is desirable, but not essential
- Experience in a range of the following technical areas would be beneficial:
o Architecture, Software design and development
o Complex systems integration projects
o Embedded software within micro-electronics
o Telecommunications networks and applications
o Distributed systems
o Database and data analytics
o Complex internet technologies
o Financial Services
o Digital Media
o Aerospace and Defence
Our Deal If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
Flexible Working While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies.
Tax, Assistant Manager, Telecom, Telecommunications, Claims, Finance, Management, Technology, Insurance