11 months ago
AutoReq ID 135789BR
Job Title Innovation Reliefs and Incentives Senior Manager
Country United Kingdom
Service Line Claims and Incentives
Service Line Information
The Claims and Incentives team are part of our wider Corporate Tax department. They help our clients to secure cash tax savings through government sponsored tax reliefs and incentives. The team is made up of Fixed Asset Tax Services (“FATS”) and Innovation Reliefs & Incentives (“IRI”) and supports clients who incur expenditure on fixed assets and carry out innovative activities. The FATS team is made up of tax advisers, accountants and surveyors and reviews fixed asset costs such as expenditure incurred on the construction of property to enhance and accelerate the available tax relief wherever possible. They also help clients on their processes to capture data in relation to fixed assets and have developed technology tools to assist with this process.
Within IRI staff work with clients to help them claim tax incentives for innovation. The IRI team works with companies of all sizes from almost every sector of the economy to identify their qualifying R&D activity, quantify it and help them obtain their R&D incentives, as well as working with clients to best leverage the Patent Box regime. The team consists of staff with a wide variety of skill sets all working together, from technical specialist including scientists, engineers and IT experts to fully qualified accountants and tax advisers. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit. The teams are spread over the UK to best meet our clients’ needs and the national team all work together as one unit.
KPMG Overview KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Job Description Roles and Responsibilities
This Senior Manager level role is for an individual with experience of the UK R&D Tax Relief regime to work with the local team to accelerate the growth of our business in London. You will be required to use your tax knowledge to help our clients in making claims for R&D Tax relief, as well as Patent Box claims.
You will also be required to:
- Lead the engagement team to develop claim methodologies and prepare R&D tax relief claims and Patent Box claims for submission to HMRC on our largest clients (having ultimate responsibility for managing the overall engagement, including client engagement, technical and costing aspects)
- Work with the client's technical and tax teams to prepare and submit robust and eligible R&D Tax claims and Patent Box claims.
- Lead the engagement team in responding to HMRC enquiries into R&D Tax claims and Patent Box claims
- Advise client on tax technical issues
- Build an internal network within the wider tax practice of the firm
- Establish and maintain strong client relationships with both existing and new clients
- Work with the client's finance and tax teams to ensure that eligible R&D Tax expenditure and patent income is identified.
- Lead in identifying and progressing business development opportunities and pitch for work with both new and existing clients
- Own and develop a specific area of the business plan
Qualifications and Skills
- Excellent communication skills in a range of situations both written and oral.
- The ability to deal with technical and finance staff on a one to one to basis, conducting structured discussions.
- Capable of reviewing documentation produced by the engagement team to a high level of quality for submission to HMRC.
- Knowledge of auditing complex costing information before submission to the client and/or HMRC.
- Providing constructive guidance to junior grades to deliver high quality work to the client/HMRC and as part of their career development.
- Capable of communicating confidently and knowledgably with other Managers, Senior Managers, Directors and Partners within the firm.
- Strong business development and client facing skills – proven history of being able to identify opportunities and converting them.
- Very good project management skills and an ability to manage own workload, as well as junior members of the team.
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Team player
Experience and Background
- High level of tax technical knowledge of the UK’s R&D tax incentives
- Knowledge of wider tax issues (knowledge of Patent Box legislation is a bonus)
- Experience in preparing and submitting R&D tax relief claims (experience of making Patent Box claims would be desirable but not essential)
- Experience in responding to HMRC enquiries
- Knowledge of different claim methodologies, especially any industry specific challenges, over a broad range of industries.
Our Deal If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
Flexible Working While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a Disability KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies.
Tax, Claims, Business Development, Consulting, Manager, Finance, Insurance, Sales, Technology, Management