10 months ago
Image Synthesis & EO Systems Graduate Engineer 2019
The IS Group specialises in the development of real-time, target simulator systems for the real time testing of advanced RF and EO missile seekers and weapon system sensors (e.g. Radar). The group operates as the system and equipment ‘design authority’ for these simulators as well as the ‘intelligent customer’ for related sub-systems and sub-system technology. The group supports a number of major projects and technology demonstrator programmes through the provision of target simulator solutions, as well as providing detailed models of the sensor with associated synthetic target scene data for testing of the weapon system software.
In addition to major programmes, the group supports both internally and externally funded research and technology studies, providing specialist resources on real-time system processing along with firmware and software developers.
What will you be doing?
* Undertake design studies into real-time target simulators for the testing of RF and EO sensors.
* Software development for real-time, embedded, user interface, 3D graphic and ray-tracing systems.
* Firmware development for RF & EO systems.
* Digital signal processing and computational imagery techniques.
* Develop the specifications for real-time target simulators.
* Assist in the design, build, and test of the target simulator equipment.
* Help to generate, verify, and validate synthetic imagery (for either RF or EO) to support system studies.
* Modelling and simulation of the environment, target and sensor
* Assist in the development of ‘technology roadmaps’ for future target simulation systems, related technologies and tools.
* Help monitor supplier technology roadmaps (e.g. FPGA product roadmaps) and identify future technologies for investment.
What are the benefits for you?
* Opportunity to work across different technology domains such as RF, EO, latest high performance digital electronic devices, real-time software, and associated development tools.
* Develop new skills in the real-time systems and in synthetic image generation.
* Develop an understanding of how advanced missile seekers operate and process target information in clear and contested environments.
* Develop an understanding of HWIL techniques as applied to missile development.
* Work collaboratively with colleagues from France and Italy on future target simulator technology and techniques.
* Work with national and international project teams.
What’s great about joining the team?
* A small co-located team based in Bristol that is both highly skilled and experienced across a range of technologies applied across multiple research and development projects.
* A team whose work spans a broad range of technology domains and that frequently interacts with specialists from other departments and projects.
* A team that works across the product development life cycle i.e. from concept generation to equipment development through to product delivery and support.
* A team that is part of a larger international directorate with opportunities for both personal growth and professional development.
* A team that offers some travel between MBDA sites and including supplier and customer sites.
What are we looking for from you?
You will hold or be working towards a 2:1 in any relevant engineering, computing or applied physics degree.
We expect you to demonstrate initiative and enthusiasm and in return you will be challenged to develop ideas and deliver solutions to contribute to the success of projects.
An interest or experience in Digital Signal Processing or Computational Imaging is highly desirable.
Flexible, “can do” attitude, enthusiasm, and a willingness to work as part of a multi-discipline team.
Good presentation and communication skills
A passion for applying your university learning to real-world engineering and technology projects
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement.
* We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
* Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
* Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
* MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
* Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
Starting Salary of £26,250 with two pay reviews per year during the first 2 years,Joining bonus of £2000 if you have a Bachelors or £2500 if you have a Masters.Flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, Annual Company Bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note thatin order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.