about 1 year ago
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currenly recruiting for the position of Hydrogeologist - Techincal Director. We are looking to continue the expansion of our Water Management group through the recruitment of a high-calibre Technical Director to lead our Hydrogeology team in Shrewsbury. This leadership role will encompass technical leadership, team management, directing and managing projects, and supporting the Business Unit Director on operational matters (e.g. budgets, financial management, recruitment, etc).
Comprising approximately 30 staff, our Hydrogeology team in Shrewsbury delivers projects across a broad spectrum of sectors and clients, including work for Water Companies, the Environment Agency, policy support to the European Commission and to EuropeAid, minerals and aggregates work, support to industrial and commercial clients, as well as the hydrogeology aspects of major infrastructure projects, such as nuclear new builds. The team has particular strengths in groundwater modelling and impact assessment, as well as groundwater quality and protection.
The team is part of the Water Management Business Unit, which also covers services including water resources and security, water quality, flood risk management, hydraulic modelling and hydroecology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services to advise a wide range of clients, both in the UK and internationally. As part of a global Environment and Infrastructure business, we are ambitious in our plans for growth, and this successful recruit for this role will play an important part in delivering this growth, with a focus on our hydrogeology services.
Prime responsibilities and duties
You will lead our hydrogeology team in Shrewsbury, with the aim of growing the team, developing our technical services and building collaboration with other water teams within the global Environment & Infrastructure business. Your main responsibilities will include:
* Providing a focal point and leadership for our Hydrogeology team
* Leading business development and major proposals to help develop our portfolio of hydrogeology projects
* Acting as staff manager for the senior team members and as overall team leader for the whole Hydrogeology team in Shrewsbury
* Direct line management responsibility for approximately 5 staff, with indirect responsibility for 25 staff, managed by your direct reports
* Supporting the Business Unit Director as part of the Water Management leadership team, providing inputs to budgeting, financial management and recruitment, as well as taking responsibility for monthly financial reviews of the projects delivered by your team
* Engagement with the Strategy and Business Development team to build collaboration across the global Environment & Infrastructure business and develop opportunities for international work
Skills / Qualifications
* You will have a relevant technical first degree e.g. geology, engineering, geography, earth/environmental science
* A higher degree in hydrogeology, or similar, is preferable
* Relevant Chartership and professional membership
* You will have experience of staff/team management, ideally with demonstrable experience of growing a team
* You will have demonstrable people and team leadership skills, with a commitment to staff development
* You will be able to demonstrate a strong track record of successful delivery of hydrogeology projects, with a firm commitment to customer service excellence
* You will have a background in groundwater management, in consultancy or a related field
* You will be confident and persuasive, with excellent communications skills
* You will have the ambition and ability to lead, develop and grow a team
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.