6 months ago
We require senior Human Factors expertise to expand our HF capability, support our clients and provide technical leadership to our HF staff. As a Principal consultant, you will be expected to support the winning and delivery of work and the development of Atkins’ professional reputation and capability. You’ll also be expected to help develop our HF staff.
Your client facing tasks will vary from working in multi-disciplinary teams on major engineering programmes to carrying out specialised work on an individual basis.
The initial focus of your work is likely to be Defence related projects, but other market areas are also growing in demand for HF resource, as clients learn about the benefits that HF capability can deliver to their businesses.
Specifically, you will:
* Develop close relationships with our clients to understand their needs and increase opportunities for Atkins to grow our HF portfolio
* Develop creative and effective solutions to meet client challenges
* Carry out technical assurance for HF deliverables developed by other staff
* Provide Human Factors support and guidance to the engineering and safety teams within small and large projects.
* Support business development activities and the development of winning bids.
* Drive technical excellence, innovation and knowledge sharing across our HF community to develop long term service offerings to clients.
* Working with the Capability Lead for ADS&T, assist in the development of our HF professionals
* Provide technical leadership to our HF staff and contribute to thought leadership in the business.
* Communicate effectively and build positive relationships with colleagues and clients, developing a networks of contacts internally and externally
* Demonstrate professionalism, commitment and flexibility.
* Deliver your own work to time, quality and budget targets
* A good degree or post graduate qualification in Human Factors or a related appropriate field, such as ergonomics, psychology, engineering or industrial design.
* IEHF Registered Member status or equivalent.
* A diverse range of experience in the field of Human Factors and in Human Factors Assessment techniques, including Early Human Factors Analysis; development of task analysis, user interface design (HCI/HMI) and assessment; workspace design and assessment, workload and situational awareness assessment techniques, anthropometry and Human Reliability Assessment.
* Demonstrable experience of applying Human Factors Integration and HF processes, standards and techniques to engineering projects.
* Demonstrable experience of HF requirements elicitation, writing and management of HFIPs
* Awareness of the impact to Human Performance of noise, vibration and lighting factors.
* Demonstrable experience in technical leadership.
* Experience of managing and co-ordinating the activities and output of other Human Factors specialists
* Comprehensive knowledge of relevant Human Factors UK and international standards/guidance and their application
* Evidence of a commitment to technical excellence and continued professional development
* Excellent interpersonal, communication and client facing skills; good powers of communication, persuasion and diplomacy, as well as the ability to challenge appropriately.
* Excellent report writing and presentation skills;
* A team player.
* Understanding of risk assessment, safety assurance, safety case and safety management concepts; able to address Human Factors considerations in related activities.
* Experience of a range of the following: anthropometry; Human Simulation Modelling, (specifically Jack software), occupational and organisational psychology, including organisational change, cultural change and behavioural safety.
* Experience of working in a highly regulated industry
* This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview
* We operate a flexible working system, with set core hours and a 37.5 hr week for full time employees.
* Applications would be welcomed from candidates interested in either full time or part time roles.
* Some work outside standard office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required
* We offer a rewarding role, career development, supportive environment and an excellent reward package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave. Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package.
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies, and the third largest engineering consultancy in the UK. We’re a multi-award winning company and are ranked as one of the ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ in 2016. We plan, design and enable complex programmes for our clients. We successfully deliver independent, professional services at all stages of the project lifecycle, including specialised scientific capabilities like Human Factors.
The Aerospace, Defence, Security & Intelligence and Technology (ADS&T) division is a progressive and expanding part of Atkins. We have a steadily growing Human Factors group, facing 4 innovative markets: Aerospace, Defence, Security & Intelligence and Technology.
Our staff have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects in these market areas and also across the wider Atkins business, for example on Rail, Civil Nuclear, Oil & Gas, Water, and Infrastructure.