21 days ago
By joining our Highway Maintenance Apprentice Programme, you will embark on an exciting journey that provides the perfect opportunity for you to kick start your career.
Our 24-month apprenticeship programme combines studying for your Highways Maintenance Operative SVQ Level 2 apprenticeship, alongside working with our experienced and qualified team of Highways professionals. Whether you are meeting with the client to understand expectations or being onsite and supporting our operational delivery teams planning projects, you’ll help us in delivering a full range of highway maintenance activities on our South West of Scotland Trunk Road Maintenance Contract.
What you'll get whilst on our Apprenticeship Programme:
Your qualification will be delivered via CITB on a day release basis from their centre in Glasgow. This will be one day per week for the duration of your programme, but don’t worry your travel costs are covered by us.
* A fully funded Highways Maintenance Operative SVQ Level 2 apprenticeship backed by on the job vocational training
* A competitive starting salary (£17389 per year) rising in line with your progress and achievements
* Real hands on experience, working as part of two or three person teams, undertaking a wide range of maintenance tasks on both footways and the live carriageway
* Working within the delivery team to deliver the operational elements of our in house designed projects which maintain the lifecycle of the network.
* Gaining valuable experience in highway maintenance and construction works which can see your career develop in civil engineering and project management.
* A structured programme of targeted training and development activities, designed to complement what you will learn through your studies and whilst working
What we're looking for:
One of the best things about an Apprenticeship with us is that you don’t need to have previous experience in working on our busy highways. However, we do hope that you’ll share our interest in Highways Maintenance. As this is an operational role, we are looking for people who love getting hands on and stuck in!
You should be comfortable working outside come wind, rain or shine! As you will be working on the Highways it is essential that you’re also keen to develop a good understanding of Health & Safety and can be confident in that environment.
* Minimum qualifications required: Scottish National 5 certificates grade A to C (or equivalent) in Maths and English
* Available to join our programme any time before September 2021
* Passion for developing your skills both professional and personally
* A commitment to complete your two-year apprenticeship whilst working
* A full, clean UK Driving licence would be desirable
* Willingness to undertake nightshift working and stand-by as part of our depot rota
* Due to client requirements we are unable to utilise individuals on our highway’s contracts who are under 18 years of age
What you'll receive in return:
If you join Amey as a Highways Apprentice you will join us for the long term! We place great value on all our people and the contribution they make to our business, that’s why in addition to fully funding your Highways Maintenance Operative SVQ Level 2 apprenticeship and providing an attractive starting salary, we also offer a fantastic range of benefits for those on our Apprenticeship Programme:
* As an Amey employee, you’ll be eligible for our wider benefits and rewards for example, professional subscriptions, our Employee Assistance Programme, Save with Amey – a fantastic discount scheme for all employees and not to forget our Amey Flexible Benefits Programme where you can opt for benefits that suit you
* We as a business will support you every step of the way; you’ll have a manager overseeing your progress, mentoring from experienced colleagues and a buddy to guide you whilst on the programme
* You’ll also have access to a dedicated Early Careers community to support you and if eligible establish yourself in a team working towards your Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award
* To support with your personal development, you’ll take part in webinars with the wider Apprentice community as well as Wellbeing events to ensure you’re getting the support you need
What else is better about working at Amey?
At Amey we deliver forward-thinking solutions for high profile infrastructure clients; giving you the unique opportunity to bring truly ground-breaking work to life. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality.
We don’t believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask the right questions to arrive at smarter solutions because we learn from each other’s perspectives. And this means smarter outcomes for our clients, our communities and ourselves. You’ll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You’ll have the opportunity to thrive and we’ll help you shape your career.
Nowhere else offers quite the same combination of positive influences and experiences to help you deliver your best. We’re proud of what we do, because we’re all given the freedom to perform - it’s what makes a career with us unlike any other.
Amey is an equal opportunities employer.