26 days ago
About the Role:
As one of the world’s leading engineering professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP we’re passionate about the big questions – and the big answers, naturally! For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact that’s felt long into the future.
WSP are working with Hertfordshire County Council as a single, integrated team called the ‘Whole Client Service’. This truly collaborative approach sees WSP and Hertfordshire colleagues working side by side to collectively deliver the full highways service to local communities.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Engineer to join our Hertford office working within the Hertfordshire County Council Highway Improvements Group, investigating and implementing highway projects to improve the operation and safety of the highway network and delivering better community spaces for all modes of travel.
The Engineer is responsible for project delivery and technical oversight, primarily within a geographical area of the county, leading and delivering projects within that area.
A typical week would include:
* Timely delivery of high quality technical designs with minimal supervision in accordance with approved designs procedures and systems.
* Engaging with key stakeholders and Project Sponsors in relation to schemes to inform, pre-empt and respond to their queries.
* Carry out Project Risk Assessments, develop mitigations and report key issues that are foreseen with relevant Senior Engineer.
* Carry out and oversee design activities, both preliminary and detailed design, to develop effective and innovative solutions to problems.
* Carry out Designer duties in accordance with the requirements of CDM 2015, H&S and environmental legislation.
* Self checking own work produced, oversight and control of junior staff’s work prior to Senior Engineer sign offs.
* Working to programme to make sure projects are delivered to milestones set within the agreed project plans.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
This role is a fantastic opportunity for a client focussed engineer with hands-on technical experience who thrives in a busy and challenging environment and who is keen to work in a multi-disciplinary environment.
To apply for the role, you will need
* To be a Team player who can deliver projects as part of a team and self driven projects.
* To have a sound understanding of carrying out feasibility studies and provide engineering solutions in accordance with the current design standards and relevant guidance manuals.
* A Civil Engineering Qualification (HNC, HND or BSc BEng or similar) with relevant experience.
* Have or be working towards recognition with a relevant professional institution.
* Ability to project manage individual schemes and communicate information into our data base systems.
* Ability to work effectively and competently with people at all levels in the organisation
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Though not essential previous experience of working with NEC contracts would be useful.
* Demonstrable experience of working on highway improvement projects is essential
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
Our work is serious, and serious fun. We create homes for penguins, help you get from A to B faster and safer, create inspiring places to live and work, and shape the skylines of our cities.
We value our people and our reputation. Having a diverse and robust workforce enables us to look for answers, not problems, and we pride ourselves on offering clients clever, imaginative, future-facing solutions. If you are interested in finding ways to help society thrive, at home and further afield, an exciting career could be waiting for you here.
WSP reserve the right to close this role prior to the end date