6 months ago
Highways Construction Technician
Job number: UK11819
Company/Division: Construction Services UK
Career area: Engineering - Civil
Region/State: West Midlands
Position type: Full Time
Job type: Permanent
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Highways Construction Technician to join our UKCS Living Places business unit in Hereford.
A member of the Delivery Team, reporting to the Delivery Team Leader, and directly responsible for managing technical and programming of schemes associated with surfacing, lining and supporting drainage delivery.
To provide office technical support and some elements of planning and site supervision/clerk of works with both Balfour Beatty Living Places Operatives and 3rd party contractors.
What you'll be doing
* To act as the link between designers and operation teams/sub contractors
* To scope plan and programme necessary works associated with Road Lining Works
* To assist with the Schemes Manager for Surfacing Works in year as necessary
* To manage works being carried out with BBLP teams or sub contractors.
* To provide ad hoc supervision of some works to ensure they proceed in accordance with the design and risk assessments.
* To ensure that CDM requirement have been met by designers before schemes go to site.
* To prepare H&S plans for the works.
* To prepare programmes for construction by BBLP.
* To prepare outline programmes for agreement with sub contractors.
* To provide customer liaison during on site works.
* To source availability or provide recommendation on the use of sub contractors.
* To ensure sites operate in a safe manner and that all Chapter 8 signing & coning is maintained appropriately.
* Provision of support as required for other teams in the Design & Build Group to meet resource needs including site supervision as required
* Promote the principles of health and safety within the Herefordshire contract.
* Participate and assist the Delivery Manager in the preparation of documentation and reports for the regular contract business reviews.
* Prepare and interpret statistical data for the Delivery Manager to identify areas of business improvement and advice.
* Ensure there is adequate day to day support for the Delivery Team and wider service operations.
* Promote a positive Health, Safety and Environmental management culture to achieve a target of zero incidents under the banners of Zero Harm, Zero-In and 20-20 Sustainability Vision or other Balfour Beatty safety and environment campaigns that may arise.
* Ensure sufficient service delivery information is available in the defence of 3rd party claims that may arise from incidents on the Herefordshire highway network.
* Maintain good working relationships with client officers, providing timely updates and information as requested.
* Ensure customer service and customer satisfaction levels meet the requirements of the Herefordshire Council and adhere to company service criteria.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Qualifications:
* Ideally educated to HND/HNC level with good knowledge of construction
* Good experience and understanding of working on and off the public highway on construction sites.
* Good experience and understanding of construction methods, codes of practice, CDM regulations, and risk.
* PC Literate and knowledge of MS suite i.e. Word, Excel, etc.
* CSCS, SMSTS
* TM1 and TM2 Desirable
* Good planning and organisational skills.
* Good presentation, influencing and motivation skills.
* Good communication skills both verbal and written.
* Desire to develop and is motivated to achieving targets.
* Good team worker and able to forge good working relationships with other teams.
* Flexible attitude and willingness to travel to multiple site locations.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.