8 months ago
We are looking for Highways Apprentices to join our Apprentice Scheme to become qualified Highways Maintenance Operatives of the future. Operatives work as part of a versatile highways team, delivering both reactive highway maintenance and planned highway works. Out of hour emergency response and winter maintenance is also part of this varied role.
You will learn the skills and trade necessary for highway maintenance through a combination of formal training and practical experience, including all aspects of highway maintenance works from routine and cyclical maintenance activities to minor civils works.
What makes this role unique?
You will be working with experienced gangs to learn skills in highways maintenance, undertaking a college course at Gloucester College to enable you to become a qualified Highways Maintenance Operative
What will this role involve?
* Understand and follow Safe Work Procedures, to ensure your own safety and safety of others
* Carry out repairs within the public highway, conforming to current legislation
* Search for and mark underground services
* Understand and implement workplace health, safety, welfare and environment
* Safe operation of powered tools and equipment
* Understand and implement signing, lighting and guarding to current legislation
* Conform and contribute to productive working practices
* Reinstate excavation and highways surfaces to current specification
* Assist with recording work activities on hand held electronic devices
* Assist with basic vehicle and plant checks
* Maintain high technical standards
* Attend project and work briefings as required
* Being part of the winter maintenance operations including the opportunity to become a trained Winter Driver
* Being part of the emergency standby rota to cover out of hours call outs
* Taking responsibility for the safety of yourself to ensure compliance with relevant health and safety legislation and safe operation to protect member of the public
* To communicate and liaise with other employees of Amey, sub-contractors, the emergency services, the police, the general public, clients and customers
What are we looking for?
* Acts and behaves safely
* Take personal responsibility for work produced and escalates issues as appropriate
* A flexible approach and willingness to work in all weathers
* Ability to work out of hours when required is essential
* A willingness to learn
* Problem solving skills
* Self-motivated and pro-active
* Good basic practical skills
* Basic Numeracy and Literacy
* Basic understanding of Health and Safety
* Responsible and mature attitude
* Good communication and personal skills
* To carry out any other reasonable duties that may be directed or implied from time to time commensurate to the post and/or organisational requirement.
Entry Level Requirement
English Language and Maths – GCSE Grade D or above OR Level 3 OR Functional Skills Level 2.