8 months ago
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
To provide competent and professional health, safety and occasional environmental advice (HS&E) and services to operational and trials teams working within a large and complex test range environment.
The role will deliver additional functional service support to the HS&E matrix managed organisation as required.
The HSEA will drive a step change in the safety culture across the business contributing to improved safety performance and may be required to deputise for other HSEA’s in their absence, involving travel to other sites
1. Provide competent and professional health, safety and occasional environmental advice (HS&E) and services to operational and trials teams working within a large, explosives licenced test range environment, working in partnership with other assurance practitioners.
2. Working within a matrix managed, enabling function actively participate in development and delivery of a QinetiQ Group safety management system, objectives and work programmes.
3. Support practical implementation and delivery of HS&E legislation, policy, strategy and objectives; applying high professional standards through building a strong professional internal network.
4. Promote a positive, innovative and robust safety culture, seeking and contributing to a “Safe for Life” programme, and engaging with business management to ensure lessons learned are understood and embedded.
5. Across the organisation and in partnership with the HSEA community deliver the change programme through a process of training, mentoring, coaching and facilitating.
6. Carry out and provide assistance to management in the investigation of incidents, hazards or occupational ill health, as appropriate to business needs and commensurate with potential outcome.
7. Monitor HS&E performance across the business; leading, conducting and supporting inspection, tour and sampling programmes and support business areas in their preparation for OHSAS 18001 audits.
8. Provide the wider Safety, Assurance & Sustainability team with information and statistics on business performance as required.
9. Support and assist with the assessment of risks; scrutinising, coaching and developing assessor competency, and providing “hands-on” input in respect of complex and / or high hazard activities.
10. Raise competency of individuals through the creation and delivery of HS&E training within the business.
11. Participate constructively in the preparation and conduct of management reviews.
12. Liaise with customers, enforcement authorities, HS&E professional bodies, insurance or audit companies, as required.
13. Maintain knowledge and understanding of current and proposed legislation and good practice and its implementation for QinetiQ.
1. Ability to promote and deliver a culture of continuous improvement.
2. Ability to identify problem areas in the business and take remedial action in a flexible, supportive and pro-active manner.
3. Able to build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
4. The ability to think creatively and exercise sound judgement in advising on mitigation of risks.
5. Good working knowledge of applicable regulation and legislation.
6. Ability to develop a good understanding of QinetiQ Operating policies, processes and procedures.
7. A strong ‘people person’, with the ability to work with and influence many different people.
8. A good communicator, with the ability to create many relationships and handle conflict.
9. Ability to challenge and question people, process and systems in a direct but non-offensive and tactful manner
10. Ability to provide an effective, robust scrutiny of business activities.
11. Ability to evaluate situations and information quickly and reach workable solutions
12. Excellent problem solving abilities to schedule and seek innovative, effective and efficient solutions.
13. Personal attributes must include confidentiality, independence, integrity drive, energy and enthusiasm.
14. Adopt a ‘hands-on’ approach to all activities
Experience & Qualifications
1. Demonstrable experience, post qualification, as a health and safety practitioner supporting delivery teams within industrial, military or other higher risk (licenced) environments.
2. Desirable experience: communicating with external regulators and certification bodies.
3. Working knowledge and experience of ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 management systems.
4. Minimum NEBOSH Certificate Level Qualification (or equivalent) required
5. Desired NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent (must be willing to achieve on appointment).
6. CMIOSH or working towards through CPD.
7. Desired IEMA/NEBOSH Certificate in Environmental Management
8. Desired experience of Client side CDM oversight or inspection.