4 months ago
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
Provide Systems Engineering cross discipline delivery leadership and decision authority. Provide advice and direction to the delivery teams engineering solution Engineering Managers and Work Package Managers, to achieve all delivery objectives (schedule, technical, financial and quality), taking responsibility for the performance of these teams against appropriate KPIs.
Lead the programme from an Engineering delivery perspective providing necessary input into the functional resourcing strategy, ensuring that Demand (including clear rational), is placed into the Integrated Business Planning (IBP) tool.
Implement new ways of working to ensure that we are operating in an environment of best practice and develop a continuous improvement programme which drive synergies and improve efficiencies across the programme.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Working with the Chief Engineer Crowsnest and others to define, lead, implement and deliver the engineering strategy, plan and key objectives to deliver the programme:
* Responsible for the Programme Engineering Performance and conducting Engineering Performance reviews along with their associated KPIs.
* Provide Engineering leadership for the Engineering processes and practices of the programme, ensuring cohesive, collaborative and common practice across each of the Work Packages.
* Supporting Engineering at Programme Reviews.
* Providing Engineering leadership to the programmes to deliver the technical solution to time, cost and quality, focusing on customer needs at all times,.
* Act as an Engineering focal point within the Programme for interactions with Centralised Services and other functional departments.
* Actively coach and mentor individuals within the Programme to achieve their role in the delivery team, whilst supporting the disciplines in identifying critical skills and development of their Learning and Development Strategies.
* Assume accountability for the Engineering Demand, optimising resources allocated to all teams within the programme and through collaboration with the discipline managers optimise resources across the Business.
* Attendance, guidance and contribution at the Key design reviews.
* Endorsement of the Engineering cost and time estimates for revised delivery plans.
* Lead in the implementation of state of the art ways of working to ensure that we are operating in an environment of best practice and lead in developing of a continuous improvement programme which drive synergies and improve efficiencies.
* Ensure compliance and appropriate tailoring of eTUP Practices and Chorus 2 Process throughout the Programme WP teams.
Skills and Experience
* Clearly demonstrable technical and management leadership ability
* Extensive multidisciplinary expertise, with specific knowledge of the domain, infrastructure, systems, practices and disciplines utilised within the industry
* Ability to provide vision and thought leadership
·Ability to approach the role with both a strategic and operational approach
Have an analytical and customer focused approach
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!