about 1 month ago
Head of Data Science
The OVO Group’s purpose is to drive progress towards net zero carbon living. To reach Plan Zero, we need everyone to come together - not just as customers buying energy, but as members with a common goal. As part of this ambitious plan, our goal is to become the ‘Leading Employer in the UK’ by 2030. If you think you could be the talent we’re looking for, then come and join the adventure!
We launched in 2009 with a mission to change energy for the better. Since then, we’ve welcomed over a million members, planted a million trees, and set our sights on helping save the planet.
As a Group, we’re working to become a net zero carbon business by 2030, while helping our OVO Energy members halve their carbon footprints at the same time.
Green energy and technology are great tools to fight the climate crisis with. But it’s people power that will rewrite history.
So we’re building a zero carbon team inside and out. Of people who share our values, feel inspired by our mission, and want to make change happen. When you work for OVO, it’s not just a job. It’s the work of a lifetime. And we want the sharpest minds to help.
Up for the challenge?
Where in the world of OVO will I be working?
As we approach 5m customers, with multiple brands and products, the data which we collect and protect has scaled hugely and is multi faceted and sophisticated. There is an opportunity to become a truly learning business, which uses data both strategically and in micro-decisions with immediate impact and individual effect. Every one of our members is valued, different, and - most importantly - part of the movement to drive progress to zero carbon living. In this role, you will own and execute on a vision to develop and evolve OVO’s data capability in line with our future growth plans. You’ll ensure OVO’s analysts and data scientists are deployed to the right business problems with the right support. You’ll be critical to OVO Group’s AI-era appropriate Data Agenda where data is available to all who need it, when they need it.
OVO works cross functionally - your peers will be Heads of Product, Engineering and Design - OVO’s teams represent a matrix of these skills and more.
What will I be doing?
Key responsibilities include:
* Ensure OVO has the data, analytics and data science capability it needs to drive progress to carbon zero living, sustainable growth and deliver an outstanding experience for our members.
* As part of OVO’s leadership team, co-define strategic objectives for OVO, with a specific remit to ensure appropriate decision frameworks are hydrated with accurate data and used appropriately to challenge and align.
* Lead on the thinking, tooling, discipline and playbooks needed for a test and learn approach through OVO.
* Foster data ownership from OVO’s teams & interface with central Data Platform tooling team.
* Provide supportive and inspirational line management for Data Scientists and analysts working in cross functional product teams (through managers in your team or directly).
* Oversee the analytics strategy supporting key projects with degrees of uncertainty such as migrating customers across platforms, brand changes and new proposition launches.
* Be a voice for Data protection in OVO, ensuring appropriate governance and ethics in data use.
* Articulate the strategic and commercial value of OVO’s data, ensuring data science IP is developed and protected.
* Make OVO a destination employer for people with data skills.
Is this the job for me?
Ideally you will have:
* Significant of analytics/data science/data engineering leadership, reporting to executive level
* Foundational experience as a data analyst, data scientists or data engineer
* Specific experience and proven commercial acumen around customer growth and management, applied in a commercial B2C setting
* Solid understanding across analytics, data science and data engineering domains
* Degree, preferably higher, educated in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or other technical fields
* Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
* Ability to present and communicate data driven results clearly, concisely and effectively
* Great at forming relationships at all levels, with the skill of constructive challenge using data and insight.
* Recognition as a subject matter expert in the data industry
* Experience in cloud data services, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, Azure etc
* Experience with developing data-led solutions
We want the best people
At OVO, we empower our people to have choice around where and when they work - flexible working arrangements can be discussed for all of our roles. Please speak to the Talent Acquisition team for more info.
We’re keen to meet people with varied backgrounds - our view is the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We want to build teams which represent a variety of experiences, perspectives and skills, and we recognise talent on the basis of merit and potential.
We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're excited about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you.
Learn more about working in the OVO family of companies on our careers page and Glassdoor. We’re also delighted to have received a Top Employers certificate in 2018, 2019 and 2020!