10 months ago
Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 11,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East.
Head of Application Transformation - Engineering
Reports directly to:
Head of Applications
Strategic business unit:
Headquartered in the UK, Meggitt PLC is a global engineering group specialising in extreme environment components and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defence and energy markets. Some 11,000 people are employed across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe and North America and regional bases in Brazil, India and the Middle East.
Meggitt’s civil aerospace presence covers large commercial transports, regional aircraft, business jets, helicopters and general aviation. Its defence markets cover all military aircraft types, land systems, naval platforms and aerial, land-based and marine threat simulation training and weapons systems development. The firearms element of this capability extends into law enforcement and security organisations.
The group’s growing presence in energy is driven by our core fluid controls, heat management and sensing and monitoring capabilities, many of which are deployed to help reduce the maintenance costs, fuel consumption and carbon emissions of industrial gas and steam turbines.
To support this business drive the Meggitt IT team is also transforming to establish best in class governance, process and people. As a result Meggitt is looking to hire 10+ additional leadership resources into its IT Applications team across SAP and Engineering functions.
A key role in the IT Applications organisation is the Head of Engineering Transformation. Reporting into the Head of Applications, this role will have end to end accountability for IT system provision to enable Meggitt’s global world class engineering teams.
• Close working with the Engineering business leadership to develop the Engineering systems roadmap.
• Developing this roadmap into an executable annual plan and gain Executive approval.
• Owning the delivery of the agreed roadmap, resourcing to support it and the associated budget.
• Working with the business to develop the business case to gain approval for each project.
• Establishing the team required to deliver each project and the complete programme of work.
• Engaging 3rd party vendors as appropriate to support the project and programme delivery, and working alongside the procurement team manage the relationship with the 3rd parties.
• Managing the internal Meggitt IT Engineering team developing appropriate resource and skills for the programme of work.
• Managing the delivery of all Engineering projects to the agreed scope, quality, schedule and cost.
• Managing the transition of the project into the support organisation.
• Ensuring project reflection and audits are completed to feedback into the roadmap and IT processes for the next project.
• Developing relationships in the business and IT to gain support and alignment for the project work.
• Being an active member of the wider IT and Applications organisation supporting its growth and development.
Primary working relationships & interfaces:
• Business Executives, Managers and Users
• Business subject matter experts
• Group MIS
• System architect/s and Application SMEs
• Product development team/s
• 3rd party / external vendors
Key skills and competencies required:
• Demonstrable experience of establishing and managing programmes of work in an Engineering environment.
• Experience in a similar role working on projects ~ £1m+
• Experience delivering Engineering Systems (not mandatory but desirable in Enovia, Catia, Smart Team, MS Project Server)
• Experience of setting up documentation and processes to improve the visibility, capability, enablement and trust that MIS need to provide to the Meggitt business
• Worked with 3rd party and offshore vendors
• Good technical background and understanding in the Engineering Applications space
• Team development and leadership
• Experience working in the defence, aviation (or related) sectors
• Delivery of projects in overseas countries or multiple locations
• Excellent Stakeholder Management and relationship skills – being able to deliver good and bad news and set the expectation with the stakeholders
• Copes well with stressful situations and has a positive approach to overcoming obstacles
• Strategic thinker and planner
• Demonstrable ability to think ahead and push issues hard to achieve desired outcomes
• Take a broad view of business strategy in determining the priorities of the portfolio
• Motivator of teams and earns respect of team and business
• Resilient, self-confident and assertive
• Business and customer focused and engaged
• Demonstrates drive and energy
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Looks at all options when faced with problems
• Attention to detail
• Ability to write & present clearly and logically to all levels of the business team
• Self-motivated with strong influencing, leadership and organizational skills with an aptitude for collaboration
• Flexible for some travel to Meggitt sites
Meggitt is a global engineering group specializing in extreme environment products and smart sub-systems for aerospace, defense and energy markets. We employ over 11,000 people across manufacturing facilities in Asia, Europe, North America, with regional bases in India and the Middle East