5 months ago
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Thales people provide armed forces customers with operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defence mission systems solutions at land, sea, and air. Our platforms extend across the battlespace including Above and Sonar, Electronic Combat, and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance systems.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
About the role:
Thales UK have an exciting opportunity for an motivated and talented Hardware Engineering Manager to work within Defence Mission Systems (DMS), specifically our Maritime Mission Systems (MMS) business unit; a team dedicated to working on some of the next generation, cutting edge sonar technologies for surface ships and submarines.
Over recent years, MMS has successfully positioned itself in growth markets and has doubled in size over the past ten years; to continue to deliver and continue growth, the MMS business is introducing a new operating capability and team in our Crawley office, working in partnership with our current MMS teams in Manchester and Templecombe.
This is a new and exciting venture for our business, offering excellent opportunity for new challenges, prospects and opportunities for development.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Hardware Engineering Manager is responsible for the completion of a set of engineering design/development tasks while maintaining full control of the committed cost, schedule, performance and required level of quality.
The related tasks may cover part or all the range of activities regarding customer needs, mission, function, architectural design, and life cycle of the hardware solution (requirements and speciality engineering, design, development, integration, verification and production).
In this capacity the Hardware Engineering Manager:
* Liaises with the Project Manager and his/her Head of Discipline for all aspects relating to his/her engineering deliverables and work package.
* Conducts all work package activities (including those relating to risks and opportunities) to reach completion of the project regarding its technical, industrial, and financial objectives while satisfying the needs of the Project Manager.
* He/she performs this role from authorisation to start until closure of the work package for all aspects of the work package including organisation, scheduling, effort, budget, etc.
* When the Work Package covers a complex procurement where the supplier has a project of their own, he/she shall ensure that the supplier project is monitored and controlled in terms of schedule and milestone adherence, risk management, quality of deliveries, etc., to ensure delivery to meet the sub-contract requirements.
* Identifies the required skills, allocates responsibilities to the various individual contributors and leads these contributors as a team. With the team, he/she identifies, schedules, co-ordinates and monitors the implementation of tasks.
* Manages advanced studies dealing with new functions as well as emerging technologies, as required. Is in charge of tasks focused on preparing, defining, specifying, tooling and performing IVVQ activities (as IVVQ Manager Role).
Required Skills and Experience
Thales is committing to hiring individuals with a “can do” and positive attitude with a willingness to learn and improve on skills and knowledge. Here are some of key attributes, experience and skills we are looking for in our next Hardware Engineering Manager:
* Evidence of the ability to lead and motivate a group of people to achieve a goal on time and to budget at the correct quality
* Proven experience managing work packages through the full life cycle of product development. Experience in the Naval domain would be advantageous, however is not essential; experience in a complex engineering environment would be transferable
* Sound knowledge and understanding of the Engineering lifecycle
* Ability to lead from the front with matrix teams
* Able to work efficiently and autonomously
* Knowledge of Project Management processes (Prince 2, APM) would be advantageous
* Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
* Agile and innovative.
Core Benefits: Competitive Salary plus bonus, private healthcare, 27 days holiday and pension plus other great benefits such as excellent maternity/ paternity leave
Great journeys start here - to play a key role in driving the success of a worldwide organisation click the apply button now!
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!