3 months ago
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently looking to recruit a Groundwater Modelling Lead at Associate Director level, to lead our team of modellers and associated staff in Shrewsbury. We are looking to continue consolidate and expand our market-leading position in groundwater modelling. This will encompass technical leadership, team management, bidding, directing and managing projects for a range of government and private sector clients.
Our Shrewsbury groundwater modelling team currently comprises 7 modelling specialists and around 9 associated technical staff familiar with the management, post-processing and interpretation of model operational input and output data. They work with a further 5 specialist groundwater modellers and teams based in other UK offices to deliver projects across a broad spectrum of sectors and clients, including work for Water Companies, the Environment Agency, as well as on major infrastructure projects, such as nuclear new builds. Together we have the largest consultancy team of in-house groundwater modellers in the UK, which has been at the cutting edge of new code development and innovation for the last 20 years.
The team is part of the Water Management Business Unit, which also covers services including water resources and security, water quality, flood risk management, hydraulic modelling and hydroecology. Through our projects we provide high quality technical services to advise a wide range of clients, both in the UK and internationally. As part of a global Environment and Infrastructure business, we are ambitious in our plans for growth, and this successful recruit for this role will play an important part in delivering this growth, with a focus on our groundwater modelling services.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties
You will lead our groundwater modelling team in Shrewsbury, with the aim of growing the team, developing our technical services and building collaboration with other water teams within the global Environment & Infrastructure business. Your main responsibilities will include:
* Providing a focal point and inspirational leadership for our groundwater modelling team – working to promote technical excellence, innovation, learning and stretching staff to develop.
* Leading business development and major proposals to help develop our portfolio of modelling projects
* Direct line management responsibility for up to 4 modelling specialists
* Leading the planning and delivery of new products, services and computer codes developed by the team to help us stay ahead of the market
* Promoting collaboration with colleagues in other UK product groups, and with groundwater modellers working for the global Environment & Infrastructure business in the USA and Canada
Skills / Qualifications
* Relevant technical first degree e.g. geology, engineering, geography, earth/environmental science/maths
* A higher degree in hydrogeology, or similar, is preferable
* Relevant Chartership and professional membership
* Ability to demonstrate a strong track record of successful delivery of groundwater modelling projects, with a firm commitment to customer service excellence
* Strong writing and communication skills to help explain what you do clearly, simply and persuasively to non-modellers
* People and team leadership skills, with a commitment to staff development
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.