5 months ago
Ground Investigation Engineer
We are looking for Ground Investigation Engineers to join our Geo-environment teams based in Cardiff, Leeds and London. This is an excellent opportunity for ambitious individuals to join our established and growing regional teams, part of WYG’s 100 strong and expanding national geo-environmental and geotechnical resource.
We provide ground investigation, geotechnical design and geo-environmental consultancy services for a broad range of private and public sector clients in the development, health, education, defence and infrastructure sectors. Your main duties and responsibilities will be to assist with the design, procurement, supervision and management of geotechnical and geo-environmental ground investigations. This will include liaison with clients and subcontractors and all aspects of site management in a broad variety of settings for a diverse client base.
You will become a member of a busy team delivering focused solutions for our growing key client base, with emphasis on technical excellence, client care and effective project management. We are seeking to recruit candidates to be involved in ground investigation projects of varying size/scale/scope. You should have experience in the organisation and supervision of a variety of size and types of ground investigations, as a minimum having managed ground investigations of up to £15k and assisted on ground investigations up to £100k. You will be working alongside land contamination, environmental due diligence, groundwater and geotechnical specialists to deliver holistic solutions to clients’ needs in these areas.
Key attributes required for the position are sound technical knowledge, enthusiasm, self-motivation and excellent verbal and written communication skills. The role will require travel, principally within the region local to the chosen office but there will also be occasional requirements to support other regional offices within the UK and therefore to travel more widely.
You will hold a degree in geology, engineering geology or hydrogeology.. Whilst not essential, it would be beneficial for you to have a post graduate qualification such as a Master’s degree. You should also be working towards Chartership with a relevant body, such as CIWEM IEMA or Geol Soc.
* You must have experience of ground investigation, including scoping, set-up, logging, supervision, laboratory scheduling, groundwater and ground gas monitoring and factual reporting.
* A willingness to travel for ground investigation works. At least 50% of the role will be site based and is likely to involve overnight stays.
* Logging of Soil and Rock in accordance with the specification and BS5930:2015.
* Performing in-situ testing and sampling in accordance with the specification and current technical standards.
* You must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be fully IT literate as you will be required to write clear, concise and technically robust reports.
* You must have a good understanding of health, safety and environmental management, as applied to ground investigation.
* You must have a full, preferably clean, driving license.
* You will be a team player with strong social, interpersonal and communication skills.
* CSCS card holder.
* PTS qualified and with rail experience.
* SSSTS or SMSTS qualified.
* First Aid trained.
* NRSWA qualified.
WYG is now part of the Tetra Tech group, a leading provider of consulting, engineering, programme management, construction management, and technical services. As part of the Tetra Tech team – 20,000 people in over 450 global locations – we can achieve more for our clients, through a wider alliance of services and industry expertise across our markets.