about 1 month ago
Graduate Space Systems Engineer
Airbus Defence & Space Hawthorn
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2016, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The role of Graduate Space Systems Engineer is based in the Secure Communications Space & Engineering organisation within the Airbus Defence & Space Communications, Intelligence & Security (CIS) business line.
The Space & Engineering organisation is responsible for the design, implementation and ongoing development of the network infrastructure that delivers satcom-enabled services to our customers in government-related sectors. Its responsibilities include management and operation of the associated company-owned spacecraft. The Space Directorate is involved in a wide range of activities offering opportunities to gain experience in Spacecraft Engineering, Ground Engineering, Spacecraft Operations, Spacecraft Management, Flight Dynamics and Space Situational Awareness.
Tasks & accountabilities
In this role you will work in a range of Spacecraft Operations and Engineering and Ground Engineering functions in support of the SKYNET spacecraft programme. Main activities will include:
* Spacecraft engineering tasks looking at optimising in-orbit performance.
* A placement in Flight Dynamics, which will involve calculating orbits and astronomic conjunctions and the impact on spacecraft operations.
* Contributing to analysis and development strategies for the introduction of new equipment and services.
The following are representative examples of projects you could get involved in:
* UHF sub-system analysis and operational optimisation selection
* Telemetry analysis using specifically-designed software
* Operations assessment
* Recovery procedure validation
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following:
* At minimum, a 2:2 degree or equivalent qualification in Space Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or related subject.
* An interest in the practical application of science and space.
* Use of a high-level programming language.
* Able to work on own initiative and as part of a collaborative team.
* Good written and verbal communication skills.
* A logical approach to problem solving and a capability for critical thinking.
This role will be based in Hawthorn and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note the closing date for applications to this position is 17th November 2017.