8 months ago
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you looking for an exciting and meaningful role on the cutting edge of parallel processing on mobile GPU technology?
You will join a dynamic Agile software development team working on the OpenCL drivers for the next generation Mali™ mobile GPUs. You will develop with the latest yet-to-be-published Android versions, and will help craft the technologies that the mobile market will see in years to come.
If you wish to influence the products and technology that billions of people will use around the globe then this is an unparalleled opportunity.
You will need embedded software development and optimization skills, but previous experience of GPUs is not essential.
This inclusive multinational development team is located on a pleasant campus in Cambridge, the technological centre of the UK.
Our team writes the layer of the driver that implements the popular OpenCL and RenderScript APIs, which provide massively parallel execution of general purpose (C-like) code on Mali GPUs, often known as GPGPU (General Purpose computing on the GPU). If you want to develop your skills and understanding in these technologies this is the opportunity for you.
Our many customers have performance-critical GPGPU use cases that include:
* Machine learning (ML)
* Image processing & computer vision (CV)
* Video encoding and decoding
* Virtual reality (VR), and augmented reality (AR).
Mobile devices are highly constrained environments, and our challenge is to provide this complex functionality, while improving both the dependability and efficiency.
Join us and together we will make GPGPU and Mali a success in other peoples’ hands.
What you will be involved with:
You will be working closely together with our community of engineering teams across Arm’s European design centres to develop drivers for the current and the next generation of Arm Mali GPUs.
Especially close is our relationship with the LLVM-based runtime compiler team (who are in the same building).
Recent achievements of our team include:
* Gaining Khronos OpenCL2.0 conformance approval for the driver.
* Migrating the run-time driver codebase from C to C++
* Rapidly deploying a driver that fully supports Android 8.0 and 8.1.
* Re-designing the driver to support future, in-development Mali GPU architectures.
Day to day activities:
The role will involve the design and implementation of a roadmap of new features and tests, as well as improving the benchmarking, maintenance and optimisation of existing areas of the driver.
You will work in a Linux environment, coding and debugging for Arm-based targets including models, FPGAs and silicon from our partner companies (thereby covering past, present and future generations of our designs).
We value proactivity and enthusiasm, and look to our engineers to be the source of new ideas and innovations.
As a member of an Agile team you will have the chance to try your hand at all aspects of our work. Engineers grow their expertise through in-house and externally hosted training, and through peer code reviews.
One of the phenomenal things about working at Arm is that if you have a question about another component, whether that be software, tooling, or even the hardware underneath, you can speak directly to the in-house designer.
Over the years engineers develop into specialised experts, generalists, or transition to other disciplines such as project and product management.
About the Media Engineering Group
The Media Engineering Group produces media processing hardware and software products for mobile and embedded devices. Our product portfolio includes GPU, ISP, Display and Video IP and our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the world’s #1 shipping GPU. Now we are entering into a new growth phase to provide new technologies and products for existing and new markets and are looking for talented people to join the team.
At Media Engineering, you will work with the world’s best companies, making world-leading products based on our IP and alongside the best engineers in the world. We are a global team working across numerous sites. Your ideas will make a difference and you will have the opportunity to lead, challenge the status quo and ultimately change the world of media processing.
Essential Skills & Experience required:
* Proven experience in C programming
* Awareness of efficient programming concepts
* Good written and spoken English.
* An understanding of embedded hardware architectures
* Proficiency in problem solving and debugging.
* Good interpersonal team-working skills, self-motivated and results focused.
* Understanding of software engineering development practices
* Knowledge of version control and bug tracking tools.
* A practical, organized and analytical approach to work.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
* Experience with programming with C++
* Scripting languages, especially Python
* Knowledge of software optimisation and instrumentation techniques
* Experience developing software for Linux or Android based systems.
* Experience in the creation and maintenance of test suites.
* Experience in creating design and test specifications.
* Experience with Agile development processes
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
* Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
* No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
* Information is crucial, share it
* Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
* Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
* Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
* Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
* The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
* Be quirky not egocentric
* Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
* Make trust our default position
* Hold strong opinions lightly
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
For all internal applications the deadline for application submission is April 19th 2018.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
* Annual Bonus Plan
* Discretionary Cash Award
* Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
* Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
* Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
* Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
* Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
* Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
Cambridge, UK - Global HQ
110 Fulbourn Road