3 months ago
Job Title: Mechanical Site Engineer
As a graduate you will work through a structured two and a half year programme, combining practical experience, academic learning and professional development whilst also offering you the opportunity to network with peers and personnel from all areas of our business.
The Laing O’Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Diverse on-the-job experience is complemented by an engaging series of learning modules designed to provide you with an in-depth understanding of business principles whilst also exposing you to the latest industry thinking and expertise. These workshops are designed to help you develop the personal and professional skills required for project delivery excellence.
At the same time, you will follow a step-by-step process designed to fast-track you towards Chartership. Where applicable, we will initiate lateral moves across key disciplines to broaden your knowledge base and facilitate your continued professional development. As part of the Graduate Development Programme, you will be expected to work towards professional accreditation, with a relevant institution, such as the ICE, CIMA, CIPD or iMechE, with the aspiration of achieving incorporated status within three years of starting the Graduate Development Programme.
You will also benefit from an excellent salary and package of benefits which also includes a car allowance.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
* Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
* Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
* Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
* Candidates from a non-engineering background such as mathematics, physics, operations management, supply chain management or logistics who demonstrate a passion for our industry will be considered.
Role context and overview
* The role involves being part of a proficient technical team who provide technical appraisals on proposed schemes which deliver safe and efficient lifting solutions
* Possible to transition to other Select Plant Hire departments after 1 year to broaden knowledge of the business
Primarily office based at Explore Industrial Park (EIP) near Worksop
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
* To appraise the requirements of the customer and to develop a cost-effective lifting solution. To ensure that the solution delivered is achievable and that accurate data and information is supplied.
* Work with the different Lifting Solutions departments to develop cost effective and productive tower crane proposals.
* Visit site as and when required, develop and review with the client the tower crane scheme proposals.
* Visit Select Plant Hire and customer offices as and when required to develop and review with the project team the tower crane scheme proposals.
* To understand the requirements of both current legislation and HSE guidance.
* Promote full adherence to Health and Safety requirements to ensure risks to employees and other contractors are removed and appropriate actions to redress any issues implemented. Promote a zero tolerance of unsafe practice through challenge where issues are identified.
* Discuss and issue to the tower crane Sales and Operations Managers any changes to the proposed schemes to allow any cost implications to be assessed.
* Produce 2D CAD drawings using Autodesk AutoCAD software to issue to the Client. Plan, elevation and climbing sequence drawings to be produced to establish and develop the crane and hoist schemes.
* Produce CAD drawings of tower crane tie arrangements to establish the tie details. Calculate the tower crane tie forces using structural analysis software.
* Provide guidance and technical solutions to the different Lifting Solutions departments on crane issues.
* Work with the Clients Temporary Works department to provide technical information to enable innovative and workable engineering solutions.
* Process tower crane foundation and base loads. Issue the loads to the Client to enable the crane base to be designed.
* Work closely with the tower crane manufacturer to gain approval for technical issues outside the general scope of operations set out in the technical manuals.
* Liaise with the tower crane manufacturer on technical issues as they arise.
* Work closely with the tower crane manufacture to develop new products and updates to the existing crane fleet.
* Transition to other Select Plant Hire departments such as modular accommodation, hoists and specialist lifting to gain a breadth of knowledge.
* Willingness to work additional hours outside the contracted hours as and when required.
* Willingness to stay away from home as and when required.
Mechanical or Structural or Civil Engineering degree preferred.
There are 4 stages to our Graduate Development Programme recruitment process:
* Stage 1 - Online application. Once we receive your application, this will be reviewed and if successful, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to complete stage 2 of the selection process.
* Stage 2 - Online tests. You will be required to complete a series of verbal reasoning, diagrammatical and numerical online tests. If successful, you will receive an invite to stage 3 of the selection process.
* Stage 3 – Video Interview. Upon successful completion of the online testing, you will be invited to complete a video interview. If successful at this stage, we will invite you to the final stage of the application process.
* Stage 4 - Assessment centre. You will be invited to attend an assessment centre. Your assessment will include a structured interview, a group discussion and an individual presentation exercise.
Providing you are successful at the assessment centre, you will receive a written, formal offer of employment. This will be a provisional offer that is subject to your degree classification and successful background security and reference checks.
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2020**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.