about 1 month ago
Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer - Development Programme 2020 - Doncaster
Our graduate programme will help you build on your degree and establish a career where you’ll have the freedom to learn, achieve your ambitions and leave your mark on the communities in which we work.
Skanska is one the UK’s top construction and development companies. We are building, upgrading and maintaining the country’s infrastructure for future generations. Drawing on our Scandinavian heritage, we are green, innovative and progressive. We bring together people and technology, as part of our objective to make construction a safer and more collaborative industry.
At Skanska we believe in our Purpose, we build for a better society. Through our Values of care for life, commit to customers, be better – together and act ethically and transparently you will enable us to deliver our purpose.
As a Graduate Mechanical Design Engineer, you will join our Bentley Works team, where we have been manufacturing all types of steelwork for over a century. We have the perfect facility for fulfilling off-site fabrication needs – we specialise in bespoke and modular units. Experts in our field, we are certified to carry out manufacturing work for buildings construction in a host of areas including heavy industrial platework, medium size portals, large span truss work, steel columns, props and walling beams, riser frames, frames for machinery, steel tube and liners, modular and acoustic housings as well as all aspects of architectural steelwork. Our capability allows us to manufacture small intricate components through to large steel structures, including temporary works structures. We also offer on-site installation services.
The fabrication, manufacturing and engineering workshops at our Bentley Works facility use a vast range of techniques and machinery to transform raw and recycled materials into bespoke and modular structural solutions for the construction industry. We also produce an extensive range of tooling and equipment for the specialist piling and foundations industry across the globe. Our new workshops have been specially designed to meet our customers off-site fabrication needs – improving safety performance, as well as reducing cost, environmental impact and time.
What you’ll do:
* Work alongside our Design Engineer creating 2D and 3D designs using AutoCAD
* Create design analysis and ensure components are strong enough and fit for purpose
* Ensure that any product to be manufactured within Bentley works, which is deemed to have safety critical or structural properties, has had the necessary design work carried out and where necessary checked externally
* Ensure that no project work can continue without the appropriate drawings being issued
* Ensure that continuous liaison takes place between technical teams, workshop, engineers, the purchasing team and the client. Specific contracts may involve liaising with the public, local authorities and building controls
* Have input into pricing new projects* Ensure implementation of the company Quality Control procedures and controls
Who you are:
* Studying towards or having completed a degree in Mechanical Engineering Design, accredited by the Institute of Mechanical Engineers
* Awareness of standards (BS:EN)
* 3D CAD experience gained through degree studies
* Values driven and passionate about sustainability
What we offer:
* Professional networks and support groups to help you succeed
* The opportunity to work towards membership of your chosen professional body
* Project management and leadership development* At least one volunteering day per year Competitive benefits package
* Clear learning and development opportunities to build your knowledge, skills and behaviours to prepare you for your career at Skanska
As part of the Graduate programme, you will have a clearly defined learning pathway to develop your technical and soft skills. You will build a strong professional network with exposure to our leaders and gain project management and technical skills for the future through completing a digitalisation project. You will also spend a week away completing a practical skills workshop to gain a wider understanding of the Construction industry.
Programme start date: September 2020
Application deadline: 14th March 2020
Location: Bentley Works, Doncaster
Skanska UK reserve the right to close this advert at any time before the closing date advertised.
At Skanska, we thrive through embracing differences, whether they be social backgrounds, ethnicity, disability, gender, age, religion, sexuality and any other protected characteristic – we know that diversity opens a rich potential for new ways of thinking, helping us to build successful and winning teams. We call it Naturally Skanska.
To build on the foundations of your degree, apply below and help us build for a better society.
We would like you to perform at your best at every stage of our recruitment process. Please contact us if you require any adjustments that would support you throughout your application.
* Location: Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
* Schedule: Full-time
* Employee Status: Regular