6 months ago
Structural Soils, a member of RSK Group plc, is a 250-strong site investigation contractor with a large fleet of drilling equipment. It is further supported by a fully accredited UKAS laboratory and together with the Geosciences division of RSK, the company makes RSK Group one of the UK’s largest site investigation service providers. Over the past year this part of the business has grown by at least 20% and secured some very exciting projects including, A303 Stonehenge Bypass, nuclear power station New Build ground investigations, Lower Thames Crossing along with being awarded a number of Local Authority Frameworks.
High profile contracts and winning the Ground Investigation Project of the Year at the 2015 Ground Engineering Awards, for site investigation work at Wylfa on Anglesey, and being nominated in four categories at the 2017 & 2018 Ground Engineering Awards, winning two awards have highlighted Structural Soils development in recent years in terms of their technical, quality and reporting standards. This makes the company a very exciting proposition for those looking to develop a career within leading ground investigation company.
We now have a unique opportunity for a recent graduate with ideally 1 – 2 years relevant industry experience, to enter a career in the geological sector and join Tonbridge team.
Graduate Ground Engineer – Tonbridge
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with site investigation work across the UK as directed by the Project Manager or other project staff. All project work must be carried out with due diligence, adhered to by the RSK procedures & completed within the given cost budgets and time scales agreed. Good communication is required to inform/liaise with other project staff and sometimes the client periodically with updates & any issues raised. More specifically you will be:
* Undertaking preliminary risk assessments (phase 1 desk studies) and intrusive ground investigations
* Soil and rock logging to current geotechnical standards, including laboratory scheduling
* Collating data and report writing
* Managing site activities and subcontractors
* Previous site work experience an advantage (including trial pitting and drilling supervision)
* BSc degree level qualified in geology/civil engineering or a related environmental subject essential
* MSc in a geotechnical/civil engineering or environmental discipline preferable, but not essential
* Be able to log samples to BS 5930+A2 technical standards
* A good knowledge of the principal soil and rock strata encountered in the UK
* Familiar with and be able to interpret geological maps and published geological data
* A basic understanding of water, ground and soil gas monitoring techniques
* Ability to follow instruction, be self-motivated, exhibit a proactive approach, work well within a team environment and willing to be flexible to work nationally or internationally if the occasion arises
* Excellent written and oral skills
* Valid UK driving licence essential
Salary and benefits:
* Salary depending on experience
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holiday and private health care.
* We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation. This also enables us to achieve a staff turnover rate that's consistently below the industry average. Adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all.
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining RSK, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track.
Further, retaining staff is the building block of a successful organisation. As a company, RSK wants to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects.
The company prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Having been recently placed within the top 10 UK geotechnical consultancies in Ground Engineering magazine’s 2017 Geotechnical Services File (GSF) survey there has never been a more exciting time to join.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area. Candidates should confirm this when applying with their CV and covering letter.
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK is an equal opportunities employer.