8 months ago
Job Title: Graduate Geotechnical Site Engineer
As a graduate you will work through a structured two-and-a-half-year programme, combining practical experience, academic learning and professional development whilst also offering you the opportunity to network with peers and personnel from all areas of our business.
The Laing O’Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Diverse on-the-job experience is complemented by an engaging series of learning modules designed to provide you with an in-depth understanding of business principles whilst also exposing you to the latest industry thinking and expertise. These workshops are designed to help you develop the personal and professional skills required for project delivery excellence.
At the same time, you will follow a step-by-step process designed to fast-track you towards Chartership. Where applicable, we will initiate lateral moves across key disciplines to broaden your knowledge base and facilitate your continued professional development. As part of the Graduate Development Programme, you will be expected to work towards professional accreditation, with a relevant institution, such as the ICE, CIMA, CIPD or iMechE, with the aspiration of achieving incorporated status within three years of starting the Graduate Development Programme.
You will also benefit from an excellent salary and package of benefits which also includes a car allowance.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
* Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
* Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
* Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
* Candidates from a non-engineering background such as mathematics, physics, operations management, supply chain management or logistics who demonstrate a passion for our industry will be considered.
Role context and overview
Expanded Geotechnical is a member of the Laing O’Rourke construction group. We are a leading specialist ground engineering contractor. Our involvement in delivery of the most prestigious and complex projects demands that we design and install a broad range of best value foundation solutions for our clients. Key to achieving our strategy for continued profitable growth is investing in our geotechnical team. We have opportunities for ambitious graduate geotechnical engineers keen to join an energetic, stimulating and rewarding environment.
We are looking for high calibre professionals with ambition, enthusiasm and drive to make an impact. You must have strong technical acumen coupled with a positive interest in foundation engineering. You will also have a professional approach and a keen eye for detail; excellent communication and IT skills are also vital for the role.
Our graduates are given the opportunity to gain a broad experience within our business. The role will involve a period in one of our design/work winning teams, which are located at our main regional offices. Plus, a period in project management with our operation team, which will be project based.
Dartford, Head Office – to start.
Key Deliverables and Accountabilities
* To be an active & contributory member during their periods in the design/work winning & operation teams.
* To understand and deliver the client’s requirements and liaise with designers/client/ main contractors to optimize the best engineering solution.
* Ensure the appropriate selection of piling technique is chosen to suit the project ground conditions.
* To undertake geotechnical analysis/design using in-house and commercially available software in accordance with the relevant codes of practice, and prepare detailed geotechnical design reports for submittal to clients and respond to technical queries raised during the approval process.
* To cost, budget, tender, negotiate and secure orders for a variety of such systems, whilst maximising the business profits.
* Preparation of settlement packs for review by the business at settlement meetings.
* Preparation of contract design documents, drawings and schedules.
* To design with awareness of risk including, H&S, geotechnical and commercial aspects.
* To liaise and provide design support to the operation team during the installation phase to ensure correct design is fully implemented.
* To produce as built documentation post construction.
* Develop long lasting relationships with clients to encourage repeat business.
* Co-ordinating and responding to client’s requests by gaining experience from colleagues.
* Collaborative working with other LOR business units to achieve shared end goals.
* To continue your professional development.
There are 4 stages to our Graduate Development Programme recruitment process:
* Stage 1 - Online application. Once we receive your application, this will be reviewed and if successful, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to complete stage 2 of the selection process.
* Stage 2 - Online tests. You will be required to complete a series of verbal reasoning, diagrammatical and numerical online tests. If successful, you will receive an invite to stage 3 of the selection process.
* Stage 3 – Video Interview. Upon successful completion of the online testing, you will be invited to complete a video interview. If successful at this stage, we will invite you to the final stage of the application process.
* Stage 4 - Assessment centre. You will be invited to attend an assessment centre. Your assessment will include a structured interview, a group discussion and an individual presentation exercise.
Providing you are successful at the assessment centre, you will receive a written, formal offer of employment. This will be a provisional offer that is subject to your degree classification and successful background security and reference checks.
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2020**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.