about 1 year ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
Our Fire Engineering team are looking for graduates with a background in fire engineering, sciences or other engineering subjects with an interest in Fire. As a graduate in the team, you could be working on such projects as The Factory in Manchester, Buckingham Palace, the Royal Victoria Infirmary hospital in Newcastle and the New Hotel in Liverpool.
All in a day’s work
We asked our graduates what it’s like to do their job. On a day to day basis, the life of a graduate at WSP starts off in the morning with cups of tea and responding to any urgent client emails.
Beyond that, anything could happen!
Naturally, there is a lot to learn and you are likely to be guided through complex software packages, team briefings and client updates from the start.
What you’ll need
* You’ll be graduating in 2019 or have recently graduated with at least a 2:1 in a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a an engineering or sciences subject, with an interest or modules in Fire Engineering
* You’ll ideally have less than two years relevant experience
* You’ll be passionate with the curiosity and creativity to solve problems
* You’ll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
* You’ll want to throw yourself in from day one and put your studies into practice
* You’ll have excellent communication skills
* You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
* You’ll have confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
What you’ll get from us
Our graduate development programme is a 3 year programme designed to provide you with both professional skills and specialist technical development opportunities. The programme is supported by our senior leadership team and is tailored give you the support, guidance and the development opportunities you need to help you work towards chartered status or equivalent professional qualifications. The structured programme includes but is not limited to training in:
* Technical report writing
* Team specific technical skills
* Project management (introduction and advanced)
* Influential communications
* Commercial concepts
* Teambuild challenge
* Continuous Improvement
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. This commitment is shown through both our PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) network and VIBE which is our LGBT+ employee network. Our VIBE and PLEDGE networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable all employees to reach their full potential and to ensure we continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace for everyone.
Our employees also come together through our social events some of these events have included office Olympics, go karting, BBQs and of course the annual Christmas events!
We also offer our Professional Growth Network (PGN) which is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations.
Finally, we have a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
* Professional Development Bonus to recognise attainment of professional statuses
* 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
* Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
* Discounts and offers with a variety of high street retailers through our Treats programme
* A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
* The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
* The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
* Reduced rates on gadget insurance
* Employee Assistance Programme – EAP offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
How long does the process take?
You'll receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within 48 hours of submission. We work hard to match you to the most suitable roles in our business and the recruitment process can vary depending on the role and team you are matched to. Most applications are progressed to interview or assessment centre within 2-3 months but it’s good to know that the whole process can last up to 6 months in total. We will aim to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered however, due to the volume of applications received, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.