28 days ago
Graduate Engineering Geologist
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Structural Soils, a member of RSK Group plc, is a 290-strong site investigation contractor with a large fleet of drilling equipment. It is further supported by a fully accredited UKAS laboratory and together with the Geosciences division of RSK, the company makes RSK Group one of the UK’s largest site investigation service providers. Over the past year this part of the business has grown by at least 15% and secured some very exciting projects including, several HS2 contracts, nuclear power station New Build ground investigations, Lower Thames Crossing along with being awarded a number of Local Authority Frameworks. There has never been a more exciting time to join.
High profile contracts and winning three Ground Engineering Awards in 2020 for Ground Investigation Project of the year, Ground Investigation Specialist of the year and Contractor of the Year, two GE awards in 2017 and one in 2015 have highlighted Structural Soils development in recent years in terms of their technical, quality and reporting standards. This makes the company a very exciting proposition for those looking to develop a career within leading ground investigation company.
We now have a unique opportunity for a Graduate Engineering Geologist, ideally with relevant industry experience looking to start their career in an ambitious and dynamic ground investigation team in Hemel Hempstead.
Graduate Engineering Geologist – Hemel Hempstead
The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with site investigation work across the UK as directed by the Project Manager or other project staff. All project work must be carried out with due diligence, adhered to by the company procedures & completed within the given cost budgets and time scales agreed. Good communication is required to inform/liaise with other project staff and sometimes the client periodically with updates & any issues raised. More specifically you will be:
* Undertaking Phase 1 desk studies
* Liaising with clients, engineering supervisors and subcontractors
* Setting up and organising ground investigation works
* Supervising intrusive investigation activities such as drilling, trial pitting and in-situ testing
* Soil and rock logging and laboratory scheduling
* Processing field and laboratory results
* Report writing
* Previous UK ground investigation site experience is essential.
* BSc degree level qualified in geology/civil engineering or a related environmental subject essential
* MSc in a geotechnical/engineering geology discipline preferable, but not essential
* Be able to log samples to BS 5930+A2 technical standards
* A good knowledge of the principal soil and rock strata encountered in the UK
* Familiar with and be able to interpret geological maps and published geological data
* A basic understanding of water, ground and soil gas monitoring techniques
* Ability to follow instruction, be self-motivated, exhibit a proactive approach, work well within a team environment and willing to be flexible to work nationally or internationally if the occasion arises
* Full UK driving licence essential
* Working towards chartership with the Geological Society or Institution of Civil Engineers
* Ability to work as a team player with good written and spoken communication skills
* Excellent report writing skills with a keen eye for detail and accuracy
* Ability to travel to different sites
Salary and benefits:
* £ depending on experience
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare voucher and private health care
* We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation. This also enables us to achieve a staff turnover rate that's consistently below the industry average. Adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all.
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining the company, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track.
Further, retaining staff is the building block of a successful organisation. As a company we want to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects.
One of our engineers who started with us as a graduate six years ago when asked what is great about Structural Soils replied without hesitation: “The people, competent, experienced, flexible management and a family like culture, where we look out for each other and help us to develop. The variety of work both in terms of different geological and geographical locations is fantasic. The vast range of contracts from a one day trial pitting ground investigation to investigating ground conditions for a nuclear power station opens your eyes to thee wider construction industry. Opportunities are there to take on responsibility and there is a wealth of support you can rely on”.
We are committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.