5 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
Our Bridges team are looking for graduate Civil and/or Structural Engineers in our Newcastle office. You will undertake a variety of bridge and civil engineering structures designs ranging from the design of new bridges, structural design of flood alleviation schemes, assessment of load carrying capacity of existing bridges, design of bridge maintenance schemes and design of bridge strengthening works.
The team are currently working on the Refurbishment schemes for historic bridges in Durham, a variety of footbridges, the design of a replacement bridge for East West Rail and designing a new bridges in Leeds City Centre. You will have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other offices and disciplines, whilst being supported to gain professional qualifications.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
What you’ll need
* You’ll be graduating in 2019 or have recently graduated with at least a 2:1 in a Master’s degree in a Civil, Structural or Bridge engineering
* You’ll ideally have less than two years relevant experience
* You’ll be passionate with the curiosity and creativity to solve problems
* You’ll want to stretch and inspire us, speaking up about any new ideas you have
* You’ll want to throw yourself in from day one and put your studies into practice
* You’ll have excellent communication skills
* You’ll enjoy working in a team environment, sharing ideas and collaborating with colleagues
* You’ll have confidence to work under pressure with the ability to prioritise and plan effectively
What you’ll get from us
Our graduate development programme is a 3 year programme designed to provide you with both professional skills and specialist technical development opportunities. The programme is supported by our senior leadership team and is tailored give you the support, guidance and the development opportunities you need to help you work towards chartered status or equivalent professional qualifications. The structured programme includes but is not limited to training in:
* Technical report writing
* Team specific technical skills
* Project management (introduction and advanced)
* Influential communications
* Commercial concepts
* Teambuild challenge
* Continuous Improvement
Across our offices in the UK, we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. This commitment is shown through both our PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) network and VIBE which is our LGBT+ employee network. Our VIBE and PLEDGE networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable all employees to reach their full potential and to ensure we continue to promote an inclusive and diverse workplace for everyone.
Our employees also come together through our social events some of these events have included office Olympics, go karting, BBQs and of course the annual Christmas events!
We also offer our Professional Growth Network (PGN) which is a networking group run by early career professionals for early career professionals. It helps to grow your network of contacts across the UK business as well as providing you with opportunities for extra experience to support you in achieving chartered status or other professional accreditations.
Finally, we have a comprehensive wider benefits package which includes:
* Professional Development Bonus to recognise attainment of professional statuses
* 2 paid days a year to be used for volunteering activities
* Cheaper gym memberships and Tastecards
* Discounts and offers with a variety of high street retailers through our Treats programme
* A standard 25 day annual leave allowance plus Bank Holidays and the flexibility to buy and sell annual leave
* The Cycle to Work Scheme (which entitles you to a tax free bike)
* The option to purchase additional benefits such as dental care, personal accident cover, holiday or life insurance at reduced rates
* Reduced rates on gadget insurance
* Employee Assistance Programme – EAP offers you free access to specialist advice in areas such as legal, financial, personal and family matters including bereavement and counselling services.
How long does the process take?
You'll receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application within 48 hours of submission. We work hard to match you to the most suitable roles in our business and the recruitment process can vary depending on the role and team you are matched to. Most applications are progressed to interview or assessment centre within 2-3 months but it’s good to know that the whole process can last up to 6 months in total. We will aim to keep you informed throughout the time that your application is being considered however, due to the volume of applications received, we are not able to respond to individual requests for status updates.