about 1 year ago
Job Title: Mechanical Site Engineer
As a graduate you will work through a structured two-and-a-half-year programme, combining practical experience, academic learning and professional development whilst also offering you the opportunity to network with peers and personnel from all areas of our business.
The Laing O’Rourke Graduate Development Programme - what can you expect?
Diverse on-the-job experience is complemented by an engaging series of learning modules designed to provide you with an in-depth understanding of business principles whilst also exposing you to the latest industry thinking and expertise. These workshops are designed to help you develop the personal and professional skills required for project delivery excellence.
At the same time, you will follow a step-by-step process designed to fast-track you towards Chartership. Where applicable, we will initiate lateral moves across key disciplines to broaden your knowledge base and facilitate your continued professional development. As part of the Graduate Development Programme, you will be expected to work towards professional accreditation, with a relevant institution, such as the ICE, CIMA, CIPD or iMechE, with the aspiration of achieving incorporated status within three years of starting the Graduate Development Programme.
You will also benefit from an excellent salary and package of benefits which also includes a car allowance.
We are looking for graduates who meet the following criteria:
* Eligible to work in the UK with a valid work permit if applicable
* Full mobility as you may be required to relocate for your role
* Your degree classification should be 2:1 or higher
* Candidates from a non-engineering background such as mathematics, physics, operations management, supply chain management or logistics who demonstrate a passion for our industry will be considered.
A Graduate Building Services Engineer must be qualified in a suitable engineering field for Mechanical and/or Electrical Building Services. They will be part of a wider delivery team supporting senior members of staff with key package responsibilities from Design through to commissioning and handover.
Dartford and Manchester and various sites.
A Graduate Building Services Engineer is part of the Engineering Job Family and Technical Function, which is there to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across all projects and opportunities from pre-project, early engagement and work winning through to detailed delivery. All of our engineers are part of our Engineering Enterprise and aligned with our overall strategy to maximise DfMA, Digital Engineering, and Early Engagement. Graduates will work as part of an operational project team on site for delivery reporting to an engineer / project manager.
Supported by senior management to review design, carry out procurement of plant / equipment and sub-contracts, input into the Digital Engineering modelling, management of works on site, documentation, Quality Assurance, management of testing and commissioning activities.
Graduate engineers will need to have clear and precise communication skills and enjoy working as part of a wider team. They will be provided with opportunities to deliver MEP packages on major projects from design stage where management of consultants will be key, through procurement, management of installations and setting to work. They will be given appropriate levels of responsibility whilst being supported by the business unit functions. Continuing a learning journey for both technical and management / leadership skills will be essential and a curious attitude to the way we go to work driving efficiencies and innovation through the business. Engineers will be involved in their specific disciplines when project based which include; Mechanical – HVAC Systems (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning), Public Health and sanitary systems, Building management systems and Energy Metering. Electrical – HV/LV Distribution, Lighting, Small power, data, fire alarms and security.
Honours degree in Engineering Discipline (preferably in Building Services Engineering)
There are 4 stages to our Graduate Development Programme recruitment process:
* Stage 1 - Online application. Once we receive your application, this will be reviewed and if successful, you will receive an e-mail inviting you to complete stage 2 of the selection process.
* Stage 2 - Online tests. You will be required to complete a series of verbal reasoning, diagrammatical and numerical online tests. If successful, you will receive an invite to stage 3 of the selection process.
* Stage 3 – Video Interview. Upon successful completion of the online testing, you will be invited to complete a video interview. If successful at this stage, we will invite you to the final stage of the application process.
* Stage 4 - Assessment centre. You will be invited to attend an assessment centre. Your assessment will include a structured interview, a group discussion and an individual presentation exercise.
Providing you are successful at the assessment centre, you will receive a written, formal offer of employment. This will be a provisional offer that is subject to your degree classification and successful background security and reference checks.
**The Graduate Development Programme will commence in September 2020**
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.