10 months ago
This is a superb opportunity for an experienced and career minded technical professional to join our established tunnelling and civil engineering infrastructure teams and to work on some of the UK's most complex and challenging projects.
Our projects are diverse, technically challenging and always absorbing and include new shafts, utility tunnels, tunnel repairs and refurbishment, under track crossings (UTX's), earthworks, Network Rail assets and temporary works design.
COWI UK acknowledges our employees are our most valuable asset. We recruit the best people, retain, and engage our employees through interesting and challenging projects, sharing knowledge and expertise and being part of the COWI team.
Requirements: knowledge, personal skills and experience required:
* You will have chartered status (CEng)
* You will possess extensive experience of geotechnical engineering working within a consulting environment ideally on tunnelling, underground structures projects, rail projects & highways schemes
* You will have high level technical skills in the application of soil mechanics / rock mechanics, rock mass behaviour / groundwater behaviour and soil / structure interaction to: shafts / excavations / hard & soft ground tunnels / foundations / slope stability and slope remediation / retaining wall analysis and design. You will also be familiar with finite element analysis.
* Ability to manage a portfolio of small projects and interface with other disciplines
* Experience in the CRE role
* You will be an accomplished team leader with the ability to support, mentor and develop less experienced engineers with a demonstrable record of building and developing a team of geotechnical engineers
* Sound understanding of CDM Regulations, risk assessment process and UK standards and Eurocodes
* You will have proven business development and client relationship building skills, will be able to lead technical input for bids and tenders
* You will have excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
As the Geotechnical Technical Director, you will have ultimate responsibility for the technical delivery on projects, business development, bids / tenders, client liaison and leading a team of engineers involved on a variety geotechnical designs for tunnelling, structural and civil engineering projects. You will act as the leader for all technical elements, giving advice to the client and their representatives whilst also overseeing, reviewing and approving designs and monitoring progress.
Duties & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Leadership and management of a team of geotechnical engineers
* Manage and co-ordinate projects from feasibility to detailed design and site supervision where required
* Oversee development of conceptual designs
* Development of projects control and monitoring of progress against programmes
* Ensuring that design, assessments and checking of designs are in accordance with the current Standards and Codes of Practice
* Approval of designs, assessments and calculations in accordance with quality procedures
* Manage coordination of work undertaken by external sub-contractors and design checkers
* Liaison with clients
* Mentoring, building and developing a team of geotechnical engineers
* Maximise business development opportunities where possible
* Preparation of bids and tenders when required
Remuneration & Benefits
COWI UK Limited is an equal opportunities employer and believe in rewarding our staff for their commitment and hard work. You will therefore receive a basic salary that will match your skills and experience, coupled with:
28 days holiday plus bank and public holidays
Private health care scheme
Life assurance (4 x salary)
Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
Cycle to work scheme
Flexible working arrangements (details available on request)
Long service awards including: extra pension contributions paid for by the Company and extra annual leave
Employee ownership through COWI share programme