about 1 year ago
Geotechnical Engineer / Senior Geotechnical Engineer
Requisition ID :2019-59461
Work Location :GB-West Midlands-Birmingham
Department / Discipline : Geotechnical Engineering
Additional Work Location : GB-Warwickshire-Leamington Spa
Position Type : Staff / Permanent
Additional Work Locations
Market / Sector (Candidate Portal Searching)
Overview / Responsibilities
Are you looking for your next step to help drive your career forward with the breadth and scale of skills you need to become a market best, delivered by working alongside key market specialists and blue-chip companies? To enable this, you will need to be part of a dynamic and growing organisation with a market-leading pedigree, with the breadth and scale of projects and specialists to challange and develop you.
Wood offers a flexible approach to working, in both location and working hours. This position can be based in our Leamington Spa or Birmingham city centre office with the candidate expected to work collaboratively between offices in the Midlands.
Wood Environment and Infrastructure Solutions has a fantastic opportunity for a motivated, highly skilled and solution focused Geotechnical Engineer / Engineering Geologist professional to join and contribute to one of the largest and most successful remediation and ground engineering teams in the UK/Europe. We are seeking to grow our world class team to ensure we continue to deliver the high calibre of service and technical excellence both we and our clients expect. We are involved in many key projects of regional and national significance, which we deliver alongside our core UK and global framework projects.
* Delivery of geotechnical design and assessment input into geotechnical and multidisciplinary projects.
* Preparation of proposals to deliver client objectives, including developing the scope of site investigations and tender packages and liaising with subcontractors.
* Preparation of design calculations, design drawings and other documents in accordance with project quality control procedures and requirements.
* Ground investigations including supervision and management of sub-contractors, soil logging, geotechnical soils testing and scheduling.
* Development of health and safety plans and RAMS.
* Sharing knowledge and supporting the development of less experienced staff.
* Collaborative working within teams and across offices to ensure consistency of delivery and achieve results by effective communication, sharing of information etc.
* Ensuring that all work is delivered in line with procedures and processes and to the highest safety, health and environmental standards.
Skills / Qualifications
* Relevant technical degree e.g. civil engineering, engineering geology.
* A higher degree in geotechnical engineering is desirable.
* Chartered status (engineer / geologist) with a recognised institution.
* Track record of delivering geotechnical engineering or engineering geology projects within a consultancy environment.
* Assessment and design experience in areas such as: earthworks, site remediation, earth retaining structures, slope stability, ground improvement/treatment, shallow and deep foundation design.
* Experience in planning, designing and supervising ground investigations.
* Knowledge of relevant geotechnical software.
* Preparation of geotechnical desk studies, preliminary and detailed design and interpretive reports.
Skills / Attributes
* Communicate technical information effectively to internal and external clients and stakeholders.
* Ability to innovate and develop in your technical area, and to continually seek to improve performance in all aspects of role.
* Ability to self-manage workload and projects meeting scope, schedule and budget requirements.
* Flexibility to work across the UK and overseas on occasion for specific projects or longer-term assignments.
* A full UK driving licence is required.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.