6 months ago
About the Role
As one of the world’s leading engineering, professional services and technical consultancy firms, at WSP, we’re passionate about the big questions. And big answers, naturally. For us that’s all about reaching beyond the expected to do work that’ll make a profound impact felt long into the future.
As a Geotechnical Engineer, a typical week would include:
* Development of professional and technically competent reports and liaising with the specialists and clients, making use of efficient working practices to provide industry leading, best value services to our clients
* Assisting in the delivery of project work with robust project financial management and budget responsibility for the delivery of projects and services
* Being prepared to attend site for a variety of roles including ground investigation, construction monitoring, site or asset inspections and site validation
* Managing, mentoring and developing supporting professional staff
* Providing support in all aspects of project delivery including client liaison, contractors and sub consultants, public and statutory body consultation, quality control, management of specialists - in effect to coordinate and manage multidisciplinary teams working on geotechnical projects, working closely with and providing professional advice that builds relationships and raises the profile of the geotechnical division.
* Working in accordance with accepted methods and legislation (including CDM) and operating in accordance with WSP’s corporate health & safety, environment and quality (SHEQ) standards
* Undertaking own continuing professional development and that of others, including representing the geotechnical team at technical conferences and seminars
* Supporting the pursuit of new business opportunities, both for internal and external clients, assisting business development in line with the business plan - this would include input into, geotechnical bids and proposals.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
* Essential: 1st degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics, Engineering Geology or Geology; Working towards full professional membership / chartership; Full UK driving licence.
* Desirable: Masters degree in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Geotechnics or Engineering Geology or equivalent demonstrable experience; Full professional membership;
Knowledge & Experience;
* Have technical expertise in geotechnical engineering with a demonstrable understanding of the underlying principles.
* General commercial awareness with an understanding of contractual variances, risks and financial implications of actions.
* Has proven experience of taking responsibility for geotechnical tasks within a competitive business environment, managing both themselves and also the support from others. Contribute to the planning of effective geotechnical resources. Able to deliver on geotechnical projects with the minimum of supervision, including preparation of reports to a high technical level. Understands client requirements and reflects this in contract specifications.
* Good report-writing skills. Will have proven previous experience of undertaking and managing: geotechnical desk studies; designing, procuring & supervising Ground Investigations (GIs); writing reports in accordance with the requirements of Eurocode 7 : Part 1. Good oral communication skills also, able to provide solid support at client facing meetings and able to assist with client/contractor meetings.
* Demonstrable experience of geotechnical design within a multi-disciplinary environment together with a full understanding of design submission documentation and processes. An up-to-date knowledge of relevant UK legislation relevant to the profession and sector. Working knowledge of Eurocode 7 and UK annex design codes, ground investigation and construction contracts and specifications.
* Familiar with and able to interrogate a wide range of geotechnical software for the design of civil engineering projects including deep and shallow foundations (including pile group analysis), embedded and gravity retaining walls, earthworks/slope stability and reinforced earthworks. Proficiency with the use of geotechnical software for the management, review and presentation of ground investigation and geotechnical data using current best practice.
* Must have the skills to check the work done by others, be it drawings, calculations or reports and able to actively contribute to Technical Excellence and innovation across the local geotechnical team.
What if we can?
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and WiL (Women in Leadership) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
A little about us:
Together, our people make up one of the world's leading engineering professional services consulting firms. We’re dedicated to the communities where we live and work in the UK and propelled by international brainpower. Staying curious is what drives us. Looking at challenges from fresh angles helps us deliver future-ready solutions that break paradigms.
With around 7,900 talented people in 70+ offices across the UK, and 43,000 around the world, we engineer projects that will help societies grow for lifetimes to come.