4 months ago
Geotechnical Engineer (LIV00000I)
: United Kingdom-Liverpool-Liverpool
Geotechnical Engineer, Liverpool
We are currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our thriving team of Geotechnical Engineers, Geologists and Geoenvironmental specialists in our North West and Yorkshire region.
Working from the Liverpool office, you will be delivering geotechnical input to a wide portfolio of projects in the building and infrastructure sectors, including feasibility, outline and detailed design. We are currently working on a range of high-profile commissions, including the former Liverpool Festival Gardens site, reclamation of currently unused land off Pall Mall and prestigious work along Liverpool’s historic waterfront.
You will benefit from being part of our global Geotechnical Skills Network which leads the development of our rich and diverse skills and ensures that maintain our position as industry leaders in Geotechnics. You will be expected to complement existing geotechnical and geo-environmental capability in addition to supporting colleagues working in buildings, highways, rail, water and energy sectors. The role will also involve:
• General geotechnical input to projects which may include design of foundations, slopes, retaining walls etc. often as part of a wider site reclamation strategy;
• Working closely with the project team to identify and communicate geotechnical requirements, so they are effectively incorporated into the project delivery.
• Preparation and direction of desk study research to assess site conditions and potential ground risks.
• Planning, supervision and interpretation of ground and groundwater investigations, to specifically address geotechnical issues and to gather appropriate data.
• Undertaking assessments to inform risks and to allow development of appropriate designs/remedial works.
• Supervising and coordinating the work of others and interfacing with engineers of other disciplines.
• Attending meetings and communicating with clients and project team members to establish their needs, inform on proposals etc.
• Design of foundations, slopes, retaining walls and many other geotechnical elements will also form a key aspect of the role, together with assessment of existing structures and design of remedial measures where appropriate.
• Managing work to ensure production of deliverables to agreed timescales and within budget.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
• First degree in civil engineering or similar and a second degree in geotechnics or foundation engineering.
• Typically, 4+ years’ experience with a proven track record in geotechnical work and experience across a range of projects, ideally gained within a consulting environment.
• Member of a professional body and working towards chartership.
• Experience of planning, managing, supervising and interpreting ground investigation data, in relation to geotechnical aspects.
• A sound understanding of soil mechanics.
• Ability to design embedded retaining walls, pad and piled foundations.
• Proficient in the use of spreadsheets and FREW, ALP, PILE, SLOPE and PDisp or similar.
• Good appreciation of construction processes leading to development of integrated solutions covering geotechnical and geo-environmental issues.
• The ability to guide technicians and graduates to produce designs and reports to budget.
• Ability to quickly develop successful client relationships.
• Experience of working on multi-disciplinary projects.
• Excellent planning and organisation skills.
• Strong commercial awareness.
Desirable Skills & Knowledge
• An interest in developing advanced understanding of soil mechanics and soil structure interaction.
• Existing knowledge or a desire to learn numerical modelling techniques.
• Digital skills – to be able to interact with CAD and GIS systems.
• A developing interest in using digital tools to improve efficiency and communication of design.
• The ability to deliver desk study and interpretative reports to HA standards.
• Interaction with universities and research associations, and interest in publication of journals and conferences would be encouraged.
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you're interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
We offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits including private healthcare and a range of other protection schemes are funded by Arup and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a Flexible Benefits Fund, available to spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to compliment your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules, employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
The vacancy is being managed by Siobhan Osborne
Closing Date: 14/03/2019