8 months ago
Geotechnical Design Engineer
Job number: UK13937
Company/Division: Power Transmission Distribution
Career area: Design Engineering
UK, East Midlands, Derby
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical Design Engineer to join our Power Transmission & Distribution business based in Maxim.
* To support the Specialist Services business by undertaking Geotechnical and Foundation design works, principally for Overhead Transmission Lines but also extending to utilities, rail and civils.
What you'll be doing
On a day to day basis you will be responsible for the following:-
* Working closely with Project Teams to determine and maintain common objectives and to ensure work undertaken is appropriate and in accordance with project priorities. Liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve optimum installation procedures. Undertake site visits as necessary to plan and inspect foundation or geotechnical works;
* Embed Safety by Design principles in all activities, including managing safety through appropriate life cycle designs that minimise risks to personnel and property, by ensuring that Health & Safety Regulations and Balfour Beatty procedures and requirements are followed in the design of foundation or geotechnical works;
* Analyse contract documents to ensure correct interpretation of customers/consultants intentions.
* Design foundations and/or geotechnical works so that they may be supplied and constructed in accordance with contract documents and/or current practices;
* Undertake geotechnical desktop assessments, foundation capacity checks and geotechnical risk assessments including the interpretation of ground investigation information;
* Specify ground investigation and testing, piling works and other works;
* Provide designs, volumes and quantities as required for tender submission such that upon contract award, the budget, programme and specification can be achieved;
* Attend testing and undertake supervision of installation as required to verify the suitability of design and quality of construction;
* Correspond as directed with the Business Units, customer, consultant, vendor (sub-contractor) to ensure the achievement of satisfactory progress and quality. Visit sites and offices to discuss and solve problem issues, as appropriate;
* Assist in training of new designers and/or trainee;
* Undertake other such duties as may be required by the Profession Excellence Manager or Programme Design Manager.
Who we're looking for
The following qualities/experience are essential:
* Degree in Civil Engineering / Engineering Geology
* Health & safety knowledge
* Ability to undertake the geotechnical assessment of soils to British Standards and/or Eurocodes
* Ability to undertake the design of reinforced concrete to British Standards and/or Eurocodes
* Ability to supervise and manage the production of foundation drawings
* Knowledge of CDM2015
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
* Geotechnical Engineering / Soil Mechanics qualification
* Previous experience of OHL foundations e.g. pad/column foundation design
* Previous experience in the assessment of ground risk and the selection of soil parameters.
* Previous experience of slope stability issues/design
* Previous experience of BS EN50341 Previous Rail or Utility design experience.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from GBP50,000 schemes to GBP100 million plus major projects.
Our people are our biggest asset and we focus on recruiting, training and developing the people who can apply innovation to deliver the infrastructure of the future. We nurture these talents, offer a great benefits package and continually invest in developing the skills of our people at every level.
Balfour Beattys Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions.
With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations.
From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the worlds most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.