9 months ago
Geoenvironmental Specialist (GRE00000C)
: United Kingdom-Greater Manchester
We are an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
As a world leader in its field, Arup offers the full spectrum of civil, geotechnical and geo Environmental consulting services and delivers some of the most challenging and exciting projects throughout the UK and overseas. We advise our clients how to manage ground risks to greatest benefit, ranging from high profile strategic infrastructure and buildings projects to specialist contamination-specific commissions.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual with the drive to develop leadership skills and new business opportunities. The successful candidate will join the North West & Yorkshire Geotechnics team and will be based in Manchester office with regular visits to our other offices including Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool. Site visits will also be required.
The team’s track record includes: HS2; Carrington petrochemical facility; HCA framework; Sportcity in East Manchester; Sellafield nuclear facility; Lancashire shale gas EIAs. Developing opportunities include particularly nuclear decommissioning and new build.
The successful candidate will deliver geo environmental work for a variety of jobs ranging both in size and complexity. Work will relate to contaminated land & groundwater and waste management projects, including submissions to regulatory authorities and development of remediation strategies/scheme designs into engineering proposals.
• General geo environmental input to projects which may include soil, groundwater and gas risk assessment and development of remediation and earthworks strategies;
• Working closely with the project team to identify and communicate geo environmental requirements, so they are effectively incorporated into the project delivery.
• Preparation and direction of desk study research to assess site conditions and potential contamination risks.
• Planning, supervision and interpretation of ground and groundwater investigations, to specifically address issues of contamination and to gather appropriate data.
• Undertaking assessments to inform risks and to allow development of appropriate remediation measures where necessary.
• Liaison with regulators to agree scope of investigations and assessments, and details of remediation strategies and verification plans.
• Supervising and coordinating the work of others and interfacing with engineers of other disciplines.
• Attending meetings and communicating with clients and project team members to establish their needs, inform on proposals etc.
• Managing work to ensure production of deliverables to agreed timescales and within budget.
Requirements and skills
• Degree qualified in geoscience, hydrogeology, environmental science, geology or other related field; a postgraduate degree in a relevant subject would also be expected
• 2 to 4 years of experience in consultancy.
• Member of a professional body working towards chartership.
• Proven track record in geo environmental work and experience across a range of projects, ideally gained within a consulting environment
• Experience of planning, managing, supervising and interpreting ground investigation data, in relation to contamination aspects
• Sound understanding of ground gas, controlled waters and human health risk assessment associated with contamination
• Experience of DQRA and risk assessment models such as the EA RTM worksheet and other models which may include Consim, Landsim and/or RBCA, and knowledge of 3D flow modelling would be an advantage but is not essential
• Knowledge of the planning regime in relation to brownfield development, Part 2A, WM3 waste classification and environmental permitting
• Good appreciation of construction processes leading to development of integrated solutions covering geo-environmental and geotechnical issues
• Ability to quickly develop successful client relationships
• Working on multi-disciplinary projects
• Ability to work well in teams, work under pressure and meet deadlines
• Excellent planning and organisation skills
• Proven communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Strong commercial awareness.
• Interaction with universities and research associations, and interest in publication of journals and conferences would be encouraged
Reward and Benefits:
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.