3 months ago
£ depending on experience
Category: Environmental Jobs
Location: Bristol & Southern England
Salary: £ depending on experience
Structural Soils, a member of RSK Group plc, is a 260-strong site investigation contractor with a large fleet of drilling equipment. It is further supported by a fully accredited UKAS laboratory and together with the Geosciences division of RSK, the company makes RSK Group one of the UK’s largest site investigation service providers. We now have a unique opportunity for an experienced Geo-environmental Engineer to join the team in Bristol. This is an ideal opportunity for candidates with a solid understanding of UK geology and previous consultancy/contracting experience, or persons with other relevant experience such as exploration geology looking for an opportunity to take on more challenging projects and responsibility.
Over the past year this part of the business has grown by at least 20% and secured some very exciting projects including HS2, A303 Stonehenge Bypass, the nuclear newbuild sector along with being awarded a number of Local Authority Frameworks.
High profile contracts like these and winning awards such as Ground Investigation Project of the Year at the 2017 Ground Engineering Awards, for the site investigation work undertaken at Wylfa on Anglesey, have enabled Structural Soils to make huge developments in their technical, quality and reporting standards, making the company a very exciting proposition for those looking to develop a career within the geological field.
GEO-ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEER – Bristol & Southern England
The successful candidate will ideally have approximately 5 years experience and be happy to spend a significant proportion of their time managing site investigation work. Duties will include:
* Organising and managing projects in a wide range of sectors including : house building, commercial property development, public sector, utilities, manufacturing and industrial
* Undertaking preliminary risk assessments (phase 1 desk studies) and intrusive site investigations at locations across the UK
* Undertaking project management duties including preparing health and safety documentation before and during any site works
* Managing fieldwork activities, including the collating of site data
* Managing clients, site staff and subcontractors
* Scheduling analysis of soil and water samples
* Writing factual reports and contributing to the production of interpretive reports which often cover land contamination and geotechnical aspects
* Preparing environmental management plans
* Experience of waste management legislation and processes
* An understanding of broader site environmental issues such as ecology and protection of site works
* Degree level qualification in geology/civil engineering or a related environmental subject (essential)
* A second degree in a relevant subject (preferable, but not essential)
* Previous site investigation experience, such as trial pitting and drilling supervision
* Strong project management skills, including the ability to liaise confidently with clients and subcontractors.
* Commercial awareness, with the deliver a project on time and in budget
* Good reporting writing skills with the ability to produce high quality work
* Prepared to work as part of a team or as an individual and a willingness to work across the UK on large infrastructure contracts and possibly overseas
* Full UK driving licence essential
Salary and benefits:
* £ depending on experience
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, childcare vouchers and private health care
* We encourage Continuing Professional Development and as a Registered Practice with the Geological Society, we are committed to supporting candidates through the Pathway to Chartership.
We operate an open and relaxed management culture that nurtures continuous improvement and innovation. This also enables us to achieve a staff turnover rate that's consistently below the industry average. Adopting a proactive growth strategy helps us to run a sustainable and profitable business while providing new and exciting career opportunities for all.
As an entrepreneurial organisation, we encourage and foster the growth of our employees. When joining RSK, a mentor works with you to ensure you set and achieve your goals. We want to accelerate your professional development, including opportunities for a promotional fast track.
Further, retaining staff is the building block of a successful organisation. As a company, RSK wants to ensure you maintain a healthy work life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects.
The company prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential. Having been recently placed within the top 10 UK geotechnical consultancies in Ground Engineering magazine’s 2017 Geotechnical Services File (GSF) survey there has never been a more exciting time to join.
All candidates applying for positions with RSK Group must be eligible to work in the UK/European Economic Area.
RSK is committed to our Corporate Responsibility strategy. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment; to engage positively with the community and education groups; to provide a safe and supportive atmosphere in which to work; and to promote Corporate Responsibility throughout our supply chain.
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer